Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 09-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #166
AdamT
oh ... what?

Adam Trachtenberg
Modeler, Animator, Attorney
3D Anvil
Miami, USA

As it stands I don't think it would work to have materials automatically assigned to an object's layer, simply because the same material may be assigned to multiple objects across different layers. As a result the material would appear when one layer is solo'd but not when other layers are solo'd.

It would be nice if objects could be assigned to multiple layers.

OTOH, I think that an objects TAGS should automatically be assigned to the object's layer, as I can't imagine wanting to have an object and its tags assigned to different layers ... or having an object but not its tags assigned to a layer. There's a hotkey for this, but it also assigns children to the layer which may not be wanted.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:27 PM   #167
jburford
Expert
portfolio
Jeffrey Burford
_
Frankfurt, DE

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamT
As it stands I don't think it would work to have materials automatically assigned to an object's layer, simply because the same material may be assigned to multiple objects across different layers. As a result the material would appear when one layer is solo'd but not when other layers are solo'd.

It would be nice if objects could be assigned to multiple layers.

OTOH, I think that an objects TAGS should automatically be assigned to the object's layer, as I can't imagine wanting to have an object and its tags assigned to different layers ... or having an object but not its tags assigned to a layer. There's a hotkey for this, but it also assigns children to the layer which may not be wanted.

I guess this is what is killing me coming across from Lightwave.

In Lightwave(Modeller)

a Layer is actually a Layer, multiple objects or a single object, or no objects may reside on it. If I manipulate or move or delete something, if only 1 object (that resides on that layer) is selected, then the Action only applies to that Object.

If Nothing is selected, then by Default ALL is Selected and the action done to them across the board to all on that Layer.

If an Object is on a Layer, then it is on the Layer with All of Its Materials and Properties and Settings are there with it, across the Board. I mean if the Object is there, it is either there or not. (I can not park a car in a garage, and not have it's paint color, nor radio, nor wheels and so on not being put there when I park it there.)

I can put other Layers into the Background to help do Modelling or for pinning/placement or other operations involving multiple Layers.

In regards to Problems with having multiple materials assigned to various Objects. . . . Is not a Problem in Lightwave. In the Surface Editor, you simply select Edit by Object or Edit by Scene.

Edit by Scene means the Changes are done across the board (Watch Out), whereas, Edit by Object maintains everything Properly by Object regardless of multiple Objects using the same (named) Material/Setting.

Last edited by jburford : 09-03-2013 at 03:46 PM.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #168
EricM
Expert
Eric Marodon

Materials are basically objects too. So you can order them any way you want on their own layers by theme (eg : one layer for all the character shaders, one layer for environment shaders etc... it's great to organize all your materials in tabs) sorting them by object is just one possibility.

Consider it more like "folders" or "labels" to organize stuff than "layers" like sculpting layers or photoshop layers where things in a layer are not affected by actions on another layer.

Once again, if you want an easy way to solo any set of objects with their materials, without messing around, get the magic solo plugin button. I use it all the time, it's great.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #169
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread