Old 03-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #1
cgsage
portfolio
Tim Sage
3d Generalist
West Palm Beach, USA

*NEED HELP* Dynamic Rigging Problem

Hello All,

I am currently trying to rig a spreader bar, which for those who don't know, its basically a piece of metal with two wire ropes hanging from each end. This is used on to cranes to pick up heavy objects at a construction site.

I am trying to make the rigs wire ropes to move dynamically, as well as anything that it has to pick up. I have successfully setup the dynamics on the two wire ropes and I can have them both move freely when using the master control.

Now the Issue! I cant figure out how to have both wires picking up one object. I have tried everything from parenting, to using hair "stick constraints", and creating a separate joint chain for the object with a rigid bind. The closest I can get to achieving this goal is having the object connect to only ONE of the wires.

Here are some screenshot pictures of my setup:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

If anyone could help me figure this out it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

Old 03-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #2
newguy4life
Generalist
portfolio
Quin Barclay
3d Generalist
Chicago, USA

Maya 2013? If so, try nHair and transform constraints to keep the wires stuck to the bar.

Old 03-20-2013, 08:39 PM   #3
cgsage
portfolio
Tim Sage
3d Generalist
West Palm Beach, USA

maya 2012

Unfortunately Maya 2012 :sad :.. Any other ideas?

Old 03-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
newguy4life
Generalist
portfolio
Quin Barclay
3d Generalist
Chicago, USA

Could try thin flat strips that you turn to nCloth, constrain the bottom verts to the object, and then use those strips to deform the cables with a wrap deformer or something like that.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
cgsage
portfolio
Tim Sage
3d Generalist
West Palm Beach, USA

Would it be possible for these nCloth strips to drive the movement of the piece of steel being picked up? I was successfully able to create a nCloth strip the same length as the distance between the ends of each cable of which I constrained the components on each end of the strip to the ends of both of the cables. I'm just wondering if there is a way to parent or constrain the bar to this single piece of nCloth, so basically whenever or wherever the nCloth moves the bar moves with it. Even with the method you just recommended would this be possible? Or do I just need to cash out for the headaches and get 2013?

Old 03-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #6
newguy4life
Generalist
portfolio
Quin Barclay
3d Generalist
Chicago, USA

I don't have time to try this out, but I think it might work. I'm sure there are many ways but try this.

Take an edge from the single piece of cloth, and go to modify > convert edges to curve. Leave history on it, and it should stick on the piece of cloth. Then use a wire deformer to have the curve control the steel bar, and increase the dropoff distance to like 100 or something like that to make sure it controls the whole bar.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:36 PM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread