Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 03-16-2012, 06:46 AM   #16
SanjayChand
Gnomon Grad

portfolio
Sanjay Chand
Studio city, USA

If you are interested in programming. you could learn how to write tools for various studios and even go the simulation side of things for crowds/fire/smoke (FX TD). Guys (and gals) who can do that usually can make alot of money and have great job security (atleast in Los Angeles).

Website and Demo Reel:
http://www.sanjaychand.com

Old 03-20-2012, 06:13 AM   #17
Russkiy
Mad Russian

portfolio
Bogdan
USA

Sorry for the delayed response. I have barely any time to sleep or eat during a work week. I appreciate further feedback and after further research about schools, courses, workshops, etc. it's very clear to me that you're absolutely right -- a degree is unnecessary. I think I'll get much more out of workshops and specialized classed, than a degree.

I've done some comprehensive research regarding the career outlook through many websites, friends, forums and the US department of labor, and even though it would be a ton of fun to be part of a media industry as an artist, there are far too many risks and uncertainties. I know that it's possible to excel with a lot of determination, but I have two choices in front of me and one of them has a more definite payout as a stable career and income. I would enjoy doing either one, so I'm choosing to put my money into computer engineering. I have not decided yet on whether I'll be a software or a system engineer, but I'll get that figured out when I'm attending a 4-year university. I will continue art as a hobby and put in more effort into it than before. Who knows, maybe if I get a software engineering degree and go into developing artistic tools or games, I might do something on a side. Time will tell.

I appreciate all the feedback.

-BK

Old 04-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #18
Panupat
Expert

portfolio
Panupat Chong
Thailand

CG industry covers a lot of things and each of them require different skills. Even though a degree is totally useless, taking classes would still be the best way for you gain first hand experience and decide what exactly in the industry you want to do.

I'm not sure about job security. I have tons of friends working as full time animators in game companies. They look secure enough for me.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:10 AM   #19
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread