Lighting with a lamp

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

03 March 2005
Lighting with a lamp

I am trying to add Photometric lights to light a scene but im having a problem. I want the light to use my lamp object as the reflector to distribute the light, but the light is just going through my light model and shining above it and stuff instead of it containing in the lamp part and shining out the bottom like it should. How do I go about doing this?
  03 March 2005
I would like to know this aswell.
  03 March 2005
Just curious, which software package are you using? I rarely read about Photometric lights. Is this related to GI?

Also, what kind of lamp have you created? Does it have a lamp shade? Could you post a render of your problem to clarify what you mean?

03 March 2005
3dsmax photometric lights? Sounds like your lamp has no thickness or the polygons aren't double sided so its a geometry issue. Assuming you understand what a 'surface normal' is, basically light is not being blocked by the single sided polygon because there is no facing surface normal for the renderer to calculate shadows from. To see this happening, make a simple test scene with an omni light inside a sphere primitive and add some extra objects around the sphere and you'll see that the light just goes straight through the sphere and lights the surrounding objects. Now flip the surface normals of the sphere and the light is now blocked. For a simple solution without haveing to modify your geometry, in Max's material editor tick 2 sided in the lamps material.
  03 March 2005
...and make sure the light (or the object) casts shadows...
  03 March 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread