When Collaboration kills Creativity

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
When Collaboration kills Creativity

I just saw this interesting video that discusses collaboration/creativity. Since a lot of it has to do with the nature of our work, I thought I'd share. What are you're thoughts? On a light note, I keep thinking of episodes of The Office... But more seriously, are too many people destructive to a cg project?

http://www.wimp.com/whencollaboration/

03 March 2013
I think the end of his piece says it best - everything in moderation.

03 March 2013
Weird vid. We work better alone. On no wait we work better with the right individuals?

03 March 2013
Originally Posted by Kanga: we work better with the right individuals.

Changed question mark to period for the fix.

You can never have too many "right individuals". Personally I think collaboration is great with the right people. You see a different perspective just from 2 or 3 of your team members critiquing something.

You all share the story that you're working with. And if the writer is clear about where it's supposed to go, then you all know the plot-goal. Getting there is where the creativity is and I honestly can see that it is important you have the people who can say "No" to your worst ideas.

03 March 2013
Hmm I agree that collaboration is the way to go. The question mark was in reference to the point of the video. There wasn't much there that isn't common sense.

03 March 2013
Having tried to do a couple collaborative projects (including starting a business) and failed each time, I'd say that the single thing that killed the creative process each time was the lack of a creative director. Each attempt I've been a part of thus far had a structure where the creative input and direction was governed by committee, and the problem with that is it makes deciding on a clear direction for the project nearly impossible. Everyone may have good ideas, but if everyone must decide together, it takes more time and often people's emotions get in the way.

I think collaborations work well when one of the members has the larger vision for the project and makes the final decisions. You can still have plenty of room for creative input, but someone has to make the call otherwise projects end up stagnant.

Thread Closed share thread