CGTalk > Software > Pixologic ZBrush
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 10-23-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
FantaBurky
Lord of the posts
Ask Ask
Greece

How to reduce z intensity of all sculpted data?

To keep it short, I've sculpted lots of details in the higher levels of subdivision, and I'd like to reduce (or scale?) the height or intensity (z intensity?) of it all to a lower height.

Made an image to show what I want to achieve:
http://i.imgur.com/mGl66.jpg

Old 10-23-2012, 08:02 PM   #2
musashidan
Bar Stool Enthusiast

portfolio
Daniel McGrath
Dublin, Ireland

I don't believe it's possible. Usually this is one of the best uses of layers....

Inflate balloon in the deformation rollout could be used to globally push all verts in xyz along their surface normal, but for high frequency detail this won't work. If you intend to bake maps and render in an external 3d app then it could be done by decreasing the intensity of the bump/normal/displacement.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

It's probably worth a try with deformation>>size slider all the same, you have nothing to lose.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:51 AM   #4
FantaBurky
Lord of the posts
Ask Ask
Greece

Thanks for the replies!!! I tried the suggestions, didn't work =/ (inflate balloon was close though)

A workaround I found to do this was to:

1. Use GoZ to export the sculpted object/mesh to another 3d application (like Cinema 4D).
2. In Cinema 4D, scale the object/mesh up 400%.
3. GoZ it back to ZBrush.

Scaling it up in the other application makes the sculpted data subtle (less intensity) somehow. Or if you scale it down in C4D and use GoZ to bring it back to ZBrush, the intensity will become stronger.

Only problem is you can't really see what's happening until you're back in ZBrush, which means a little time is wasted going back and forth.

Using deformation - scale in ZBrush keeps the sculpted data as is. But there must be some kinda option to set the scene scale, cause I'm guessing that's how you could change the intensity, if even possible.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
FantaBurky
Lord of the posts
Ask Ask
Greece

Doh, I should have figured this out before!!

All you have to do is switch to the lowest subdivision level and then use deformation/scale. That seems to have the same effect as scaling in another app (where the model is at the lowest subdivision from GoZ). Then switch back to highest subdivison level and the details have been intensified (or more subtle, depending on which way you scale).

It's still not as interactive as I'd like it to be, cause you have to switch back and forth the subdivision levels while testing, but at least I don't have to GoZ everytime.

Old 10-29-2012, 05:26 PM   #6
informerman
Expert

portfolio
EZ-Brush
dallas, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by FantaBurky
Thanks for the replies!!! I tried the suggestions, didn't work )

did you try Layers ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by musashidan
I don't believe it's possible. Usually this is one of the best uses of layers....

Old 10-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #7
FantaBurky
Lord of the posts
Ask Ask
Greece

No, I've just started learning zbrush. But I'll look into it, maybe that's exactly what I'm after.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #8
FantaBurky
Lord of the posts
Ask Ask
Greece

Alright, so layers seems like it would have been a much better fix for this. But since I never recorded my session as a layer, the only way to achieve the same thing is to go to the lowest subdivision and scale it up, and then switch back to the highest subdivision.

To bad there's not an option to stay on the highest subdivision level and scale a lower one, while looking at the highest one. That's basically what I was hoping to find, but I guess this will have to do for now. Next time I'll remember to use layers. Hopefully I'll also remember to make sure it's always recording.

Thanks for all the help guys! Really appreciate it =)

Old 10-30-2012, 08:26 PM   #9
informerman
Expert

portfolio
EZ-Brush
dallas, USA

set your subdivision then use tool>morph target>store morph
when done you can use (switch) or the morph sliders

if you lose the morph target set your subdivision back to the same level you stored it on

Old 11-01-2012, 11:40 PM   #10
FantaBurky
Lord of the posts
Ask Ask
Greece

Oddly enough my object/tool already had a morph target =O And moving the slider actually does exactly what I've been trying to do through scaling lower subdivisions, except with realtime view of the change!! Thank you so much for helping me out!!! Will read up more on using morph, seems like almost every tool has something powerful to offer in zbrush.

Thanks again, to everyone who replied! =)

Old 11-01-2012, 11:40 PM   #11
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread