angel's not here man...

portfolio
Angel Nieves
3D Lead
MTM
Atlanta, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypercube
I think there's not a lot of comments because not a lot of people went to see it, which would explain the box office.

Regardless of positive reviews, people still have to want to see it. I was really interested in it, but not a movie I can get the Mrs. interested in, so have to wait. I think that's where it landed for a lot of folks, interested but not must-see.

Unfortunate though that a decently made movie for its target audience in the genre didn't do well.

Plan to go to LOOPER asap though. That has my full attention.

Exactly, sounds to me like it is more of a marketing failure than a bad production. I wanna go see it but Looper starts tonight! so it'll have to wait

Old 11-03-2012, 08:07 AM   #77
SciFibrow
X-38 Sundagger

portfolio
Peter Blight
Concept Artist
Global freelancer
Melbourne, Australia

I saw it and thought it was extremely well done and captured the feel of the source story and characters, even if the bike/city design wasn't faithful. The mega-building cgi was awesome actually, even if it was blocky and not curved like the original.

The slow mo bullets ripping through people was really quite gross, not my thing, yet thinking back to many 2000AD strips that is still 100% authentic.

Will probably get this on dvd, even if I'll have to look away for a couple of slow mo bits.

Old 01-23-2013, 05:04 AM   #78
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA

Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
Well guess what....

LIONSGATE HOME ENTERTAINMENT'S DREDD TOPS SALES CHARTS IN 3-D BLU-RAY, DVD AND DIGITAL DOWNLOADS, BIGGEST HOME ENTERTAINMENT NEW RELEASE OF THE YEAR

http://investors.lionsgate.com/phoe...76610&highlight
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 01-23-2013, 05:39 PM   #79
balistic
wacom jock

portfolio
Brian Prince
Sr. 3D Artist
IGT
Reno, USA

Great little action movie. It'd be a great double feature with Punisher: War Zone.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:33 PM   #80
CKPinson
Expert

portfolio
CK Pinson
Network ADMIN
Govt
West Palm Beach, USA

Send a message via MSN to CKPinson
Finally saw it and was surprised by how much i liked it-

Old 01-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #81
redbellpeppers
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Chris
Standing, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKPinson
Finally saw it and was surprised by how much i liked it-

Same here.
If they made more, I'd probably watch them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz
Well guess what....

LIONSGATE HOME ENTERTAINMENT'S DREDD TOPS SALES CHARTS IN 3-D BLU-RAY, DVD AND DIGITAL DOWNLOADS, BIGGEST HOME ENTERTAINMENT NEW RELEASE OF THE YEAR

http://investors.lionsgate.com/phoe...76610&highlight

I think it was a good call on their part to incorporate 3D with their standard Blu Ray.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #82
Steve Green
Reworking my Reel
Steve Green
Freelance 3D Artist
United Kingdom

Just as an aside, we were shooting a fan film, Judge Minty based a minor character from an early Dredd, while Dredd itself was in production.

It's been doing the rounds of festivals/conventions but just gone up on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aavS_XUITXU

We were stretched pretty thinly, with myself shooting the live-action and doing the majority of the VFX shot, but we had a ball on it.

It's very old-school 2000AD.

Cheers

Steve

Old 05-12-2013, 08:39 AM   #83
malcolmvexxed
World's largest midget

portfolio
Stephen Broome Broome
Freelance illustrator and web designer
San Diego, USA

Send a message via Yahoo to malcolmvexxed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Green
Just as an aside, we were shooting a fan film, Judge Minty based a minor character from an early Dredd, while Dredd itself was in production.

It's been doing the rounds of festivals/conventions but just gone up on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aavS_XUITXU

We were stretched pretty thinly, with myself shooting the live-action and doing the majority of the VFX shot, but we had a ball on it.

It's very old-school 2000AD.

Cheers

Steve

I'm a pretty big Dredd/Garry Leach fan and this really does a great job capturing that feel.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #84
Dillster
Always Learning

portfolio
Dylan Saunders
Dublin, Ireland

Good film Steve, I enjoyed it. Did it cost loads of money to make with all those actors, or did they volunteer?

Old 05-12-2013, 09:27 AM   #85
Steve Green
Reworking my Reel
Steve Green
Freelance 3D Artist
United Kingdom

Hi,

Thanks,

the majority were fans and volunteered, the lead actor was paid but most of the money went on location and studio hire (and accommodation)

A few people got props and bits and bobs, but I think the actual money spent was in the 4-6 thousand range.

The post production was a bit of a long haul, as I was just doing that for free between paying jobs. There's not anything particularly difficult it's more that a lot of shots have something - if it's ash or dust or polythene flapping about in the background, then it's been added.

And then there's stuff which could have been done practically, like the writing on the sign at the end - we didn't know what the writing would be so we hedged our bets and I just tracked it in with Mocha, since it was going to have all the buildings added anyway.

Ideally I would have liked to have got some other digital artists in, but I hate asking people to work for nothing (we paid one guy to do a couple of shots)

Someone did volunteer for the CCTV sequence, but then paying work came along and I felt it would probably be a bit more of a known quantity to just do it myself.

Was certainly fun to do though, even when it was freezing torrential rain in Wales...

Old 09-08-2013, 09:29 AM   #86
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Managed to watch "DREDD" today.

On the whole, very brisk, enjoyable experience. Comic book plot, feels like a series of short films strung together.

Rookie has really contrived reason to remove helmet.

Speaking of helmets, THAT helmet on Karl Urban doesn't look right half the time. It's too massive, particularly the "flaps" on the sides of the helmet are jutted out too far from the jaw and chin area.

Karl didn't help matters by not shaving. The stubbles narrow his mouth and jaw area more because they shadow them out,exaggerating the dark gaps already on either side of his jawline.

Would have suggested maybe for Karl to shave, add a bit of make-up/prosthetics to pad his jaw, re-design the collar to "connect" to the helmet or cover it so that it slopes nicer over his torso. Larger padding, more muscle mass. Anything to balance against that helmet. maybe even sanding the helmet down to make it thinner (it looks REALLY thick all around).

The main arching plot is very simple. They have a perp for interrogation, some big bad doesn't want them to get out and locks down the whole building. Like I said film plays out like a series of short chapters, like many thin comic books strung together. It keeps going briskly, but ultimately it's about very llittle. Lunchbox sub-plots about people living in the Peach Trees complex - the judges pick one up, and it closes out two minutes later.

There's a few plays by the big bad.. and that's about it.

The action, gadgetry, and weapons play is all nicely done. Dredd's gun very nice with Printer/Fax Machine style data display. Dredd is likeable here, more a policeman than I expected. But the actual tactics used by Dredd are reduced to the kind used by people playing DOOM III (no cover, no strafing).

The Slo-Mo drug FX look like High FPS footage played at lower speed, with these really simple glitters and stars added in and all the yellows and greens punched up. It looks OK most off the time, but sometimes looks like a screensaver.

It's not just during the drug sequence that the colors are punched up, there's a sequence involving Skateboarders where the color has been bumped up so much, it looks like you're watching an 80's teen movie. Other composites of the city don't seem to blend well at the very start, so it's not always clear what time in the future or how far in the future the world is supposed to be in.

BUT.. is it a lot of fun? HELL YEAH.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #87
Steve Green
Reworking my Reel
Steve Green
Freelance 3D Artist
United Kingdom

I seem to recall that there were actually 2 helmets for Karl, where it was reduced in size after initial photos and the 'it's too big' comments came out.

There's a lot of padding on the interior which also narrows the face - I think prosthetics would have been a distraction really.

Looking at the original concept art they were really going for the side parts of the helmet to be protective, but it has a knock-on effect of making the face thinner and also restricting how much you can see from the side.

With the Judge Minty helmets, they sweep back more so you see more of the face, which doesn't make much sense from a protection POV, but looks more pleasing IMHO.

Old 09-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #88
LuckyBug
Building worlds

portfolio
Star Lord
DMP Environment Artist
MPC London
London, United%2BKingdom

I was pretty much bored during the entire movie, seems very cheap.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #89
CGIPadawan
Part-Time Blenderite

Giancarlo Ng
Quezon City, Philippines

Send a message via Yahoo to CGIPadawan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Green
I seem to recall that there were actually 2 helmets for Karl, where it was reduced in size after initial photos and the 'it's too big' comments came out.

There's a lot of padding on the interior which also narrows the face - I think prosthetics would have been a distraction really.

Looking at the original concept art they were really going for the side parts of the helmet to be protective, but it has a knock-on effect of making the face thinner and also restricting how much you can see from the side.

With the Judge Minty helmets, they sweep back more so you see more of the face, which doesn't make much sense from a protection POV, but looks more pleasing IMHO.

Yeah, but my main point for a "quick fix" was that "clean faces max out the space more".

Karl did the design no favors in "reducing" his own jaw by making it dirty:

Maybe prosthetics is a bit much, but we are talking "changes by degrees" here.

Oh well, it is what it is now.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #90
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread