copain
Frequenter

portfolio
Steve De Vriendt
freelance 3D artist
www.stevedevriendt.com
london, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to copain
I would say be carefull of having a big black surface, depending on where on your body it can read badly.
you can have gradiations between the black and white to detail or soften it.

Old 06-17-2013, 06:57 PM   #17
artfoundry
Veteran
portfolio
David Markowitz
Associate Producer/Jack-of-all-trades
ChangYou US
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by rownd
Your new concept is not as powerful as your first one. The cape turning into bats was a good idea. You kind of lost that.

Any ideas on how to fix that? The problem is that as a tattoo, it can't have such small white spaces, and without those, it's difficult to make it look like the cape is turning into bats. Instead it just looks like they're flying from behind the cape.

Old 06-17-2013, 07:34 PM   #18
rownd
In a blanket fort

portfolio
Jim Rownd
illustrator
Rochester, USA

I've seen some detailed tats and looks they keep everything clear. Make the cape to bat area bigger and less bats?

Old 06-17-2013, 10:36 PM   #19
architectus
Frequenter

portfolio
Neil Fontaine Neil Fontaine
Vallejo, USA

I'm a tattoo artist and illustrator. I would recommend a vertical explosion with the design. Here is my idea I sketched in under 5 minutes.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:24 AM   #20
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by architectus
I'm a tattoo artist and illustrator. I would recommend a vertical explosion with the design. Here is my idea I sketched in under 5 minutes.

Layout wise, for a limb, I think it's a good idea.
I don't find it, pose wise, to be a batman thing though. Batman is iconic when hunched down and looking at things from above, it's a big point of the graphic connection to the spirit of the character.
A curvy, up-facing piece ala ascension probably doesn't quite work as well for the character.

@Artfoundry: What I meant is keep it a sideview, hunch him over, and and have cape/bats spiralling down below instead of sideways.
It will retain the batman feeling and you can, to some degree, incorporate the cape to bats design, and should work to a better layout.

If it's a calf piece make sure it balloons in themiddle, tapers down the length downwards, and stops abruptly enough at the top. Calf pieces IMO roll like crap, so keeping it mostly contained width wise will be important. If it's an arm piece then I reckon it'll be a fair bit harder, but that's because I'm not a fan of that kind of design on arms. If it was me in that case I'd turn it into a half sleeve or even a 7/10ths

Free Maya Nodes

Old 06-18-2013, 02:27 PM   #21
rownd
In a blanket fort

portfolio
Jim Rownd
illustrator
Rochester, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by architectus

I can see this having a real nice flow to if done right.

Old 06-24-2013, 01:14 AM   #22
artfoundry
Veteran
portfolio
David Markowitz
ChangYou US
United States

I agree with JacO. While the layout is cool and good for a vertical tattoo, it doesn't really convey the feel and mythos of Batman.

I added more bats to the last idea to make it look more like the cape was turning into bats. However, I realized that part of the problem is that the cape is lying static in this one - there's no motion to it, which is why the it turning into bats is not as dramatic looking.

JacO, I understand what you're saying about having him look sideways, but after making him face forward, I really like that more - I think it adds more to the tension. Also, I think having the bats go down will look odd since bats would normally be flying above him (or at least at his height). I actually did try something similar to what you're talking about though - making his cape flow down and then curve back up, with the bats flying out of the part that curved back up. I was trying to design it a bit in the shape of a treble clef (music is another of my passions), but it just ended up looking weird - too many changes in direction/flow.

Here's another idea - this is more symbolic than realistic. I think it's cool that it has the bat logo incorporated into it, but it doesn't really have the sense of drama/action/tension the others have.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #23
artfoundry
Veteran
portfolio
David Markowitz
ChangYou US
United States

Ok, another new idea - not very original, but it has the vertical design going for it, and I like the way the bats are done better in this than the last one. Has the same layout as Architectus' idea, but it's more batman like.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:47 PM   #24
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread