Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 04-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #1
tissuerex
portfolio
Finland

Question removing unwanted creases/ridges

Hello everybody

I'm learning to use the 3DS Max for making low poly models. I encountered a problem that I couldn't find a solution for, so I'am asking for your help.

The model in question is a command module (reentry capsule in Soyuz style) in which I need to drill some holes for thrusters:
http://i.imgur.com/6pd7pHY.jpg

ProCutter or ProBoolean seem to do the job nicely but both of them give me strange creases on model after cutting has been done:
http://i.imgur.com/ELhUhsl.jpg

3DS max help states that number of faces should be increased in order to reduce ridges, and there's where the problem happens. I add more height segments, cap segment and sides to the cone (as seen on the first imaga) , but they all disappear the moment I start cutting no matter what i do:
http://i.imgur.com/9AUBPuN.jpg.

I tried to remove creases by changing the smoothing groops, quick slicing to add more faces, using turbosmooth but nothing gives me good results.

Any advice on how to drill holes and have a clean mesh afterwards is greatly appreciated!

Old 04-26-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
SpeedKing
Veteran

Dejan Backovic
3D Generalist & Animator
Freelancer
Nis, Serbia

On bottom of proboolean options you will find advanced options tab, open it and under planar edge removal select "no edge removal", that way proboolean will not remove edges after operation (like it did in your third picture). You will end up with "cleaner" mesh, but if you really want a clean mesh avoid boolean alltogether and instead try to drill holes and whatnot using the edit poly tools.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #3
tissuerex
portfolio
Finland

Thank you for the answer!

Most of the cutting cylinders are at a certain angle relative to the surface, and it would be very hard for me to get the exact shape of the projected circle on that surface... Do you know a good way to project a circle on that surface using edit poly tools (or any other) ?

Old 04-26-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread