Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 04-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #1
antai91
portfolio
Talal Aniff
Dubau, AE

Career and Portfolio Advice

hi guys I just graduated and i'm planning to create my portfolio. My problem is that I do not know where to start. I learnt in my course, 3d modeling, texturing, lighting, rigging, animation, and compositing. I want to know how Im going to display these skills in a portfolio. I had a chat with my lecturer, and he said to first choose an industry that im interested in and aim the portfolio on to that. That's another thing that im confused in. Im not really sure as to which industry I should get into. I was thinking as a 3d visualizer, or an all rounder like environment and character designer.

I did some research as in job hunting, and found that 3d visualizing has a bigger job perspective, and has a lot of demand.

If I choose 3d visualizing, should I have a clear understanding about architecture?,

Should I have drawing skills for interior and exterior designs?

Will it be a good idea to aim at one industry such as architecture ?

If I choose 3d visualizing, do you think all the skills I learnt such as character modelling, rigging and animation will be a waste to leave it aside?

Please give me your advice on this such matter.

Thankyou

Old 04-25-2013, 03:00 PM   #2
DanHibiki
Expert

portfolio
- -
Senior 3d Animator
Invivo communications
Richmond Hill, Canada

Well, you're a beginner, so I'd say that for the first few jobs you might want to aim towards being a Generalist.

This way you can get an entry level job and figure out just what aspect of work you like best and then go from there.

there's a bunch of tips on putting together a portfolio out there which you should read, but the general idea is, make it accessible(simple thing anyone can see on a web browser) and include work that is good. This may seem obvious but an easy trap to fall in to is to include things just because you have them and that can really reduce the quality of your portfolio.

If you really want to go in to architecture, I can say that you don't need to know everything there is to know about architecture (after all you're just working off of existing CAD files) you just need to know how to light, render and composite architecture well to get your foot in the door.

Old 04-25-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
Pyke
White Zulu

portfolio
Christopher Bischoff
Lead artist & game designer.
The Brotherhood
Johannesburg, South Africa

Send a message via MSN to Pyke

Architectural illustration is a fantastic field to get into. I don't know about other countries, but in SA the jobs tend to be a lot more stable than VFX jobs, and are often seen as salaried permanent positions, rather then contract work.

You also have more opportunities, as you can either work as an in-house artist for an architect, interior designer, or at an archviz studio.

As architects have started to use 3D software in their designs, modeling for Arch Viz artists isn't as important as it used to be-but you will still get the occasional modeling job, and will often need to adjust existing CAD models, which can be a bit of a pain.

Understanding of Architectural concepts IS important. You need to know the terminology, but that's true of any professional industry.

The things to concentrate on is speed, lighting, and texturing.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #4
tswalk
Expert

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

what school did you go to?

reason I ask is because, if you have already graduated and they did not have you complete a portfolio while you where there... that is not a school I would want to go to. Any school worth a grain of salt will require a graduate portfolio, and this is a must have to enter any Masters program.

I'm not ranting at you, i'm angry at that school... the questions your advisor asked are things that should have been done by year 2 at the latest :(... ugh! sorry, that just burns my goat.

Old 04-25-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread