Old 02-20-2013, 02:54 AM   #16
earwax69
Ctrl+Altl+Chicken

portfolio
Thierry Fortier
Montreal/Osaka, Japan

Quote:
I'd go for a 3930k before a 3770k.

Will the turboboost compensate for the lowerclock speed?

I need very strong single threaded performance.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #17
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwax69

Usually you turn the turboboost off if you overclock.

Old 02-20-2013, 12:18 PM   #18
sentry66
Expert

portfolio
node crazy
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwax69

I think a typical highly overclocked 3770k can have something like a 2-3% advantage in single-threading over a typical highly overclocked 3930k, but IMO the 50% multithreaded performance of the 3930k and possible 8 memory slots is worth going that route if you have the extra money.

And honestly, the 3930k can be pushed harder in a predictable way if you wanted to overclock even higher while the 3770k quickly hits a hard ceiling because of intel using thermal paste instead of solder to connect the CPU core to the heat spreader. 3770k has a really bad temp threshold when overclocked hard.

For a production machine though, I wouldn't absolutely max out the overclocking though so either chip should be fine for 4.5-4.7ghz

Last edited by sentry66 : 02-20-2013 at 12:22 PM.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:22 PM   #19
mustique
Expert
copywriter

What's next for intel... They are too late for tablets and phones, as no OEM in the world would want a lock-in into intel architecture. ARM is more than enough for that market and ARM chips are cheap. 64 bit ARM is around the corner too, so the server market will give intel a run for their money too pretty soon.

Intel will have to reinvent its X86 architecture, so it can compete in supercomputing environments with nvidia cuda and with future 64 ARM servers at the same time. Interesting times are ahead.

In the short run there will be minor speed gains for desktop intel chips and maybe a couple more cores for Xeons.but what will happen after that is beyond my imagination. Maybe hell will freeze and intel will actually buy nvidia.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:36 PM   #20
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Yea, apparently AMD just bought the licence to make 64 bit ARM server chips. Maybe they can one day make a dent in Intel's near server monopoly.

I'm sure Intel's working on its own RISC architecture as well though.

I think AMD is going to be pushing its ARM server chips under the guise that it saves power. I'm pretty sure the hardware overhead would be a lot more for an ARM based datacenter, so it will be interesting to find out at what scale the ARM becomes the more cost effective solution.

I don't think ARM can compete with x86 on a per node performance basis, so well likely not see hot workstations or gaming rigs based off ARM any time soon.

Either way, I'm not very informed on this type of stuff, so if I'm way off here, please correct me.

-AJ

Old 02-26-2013, 01:33 AM   #21
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Of course ARM would yield worse performance per square cm of die than x86-64, but the reason Intel has been rushing work on ARM-like work is that the server market has evolved a lot recently.
Many virutal machines run off the same CPU were almost unheard of a while ago, high virutalization is now not only common, it's about to become dominant even for some tasks that were performance capped in the past.

Even some performance sensitive thing like cloud computing services and the such are moving to many-machines paradigms and revising the pricing models.

It's not unlikely, not as much as it used to be at least, to say many arrayed mini-RISC might be a considerable chunk of the future, and Intel is actually late on that, although I would say far from too late.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 02-26-2013, 01:52 AM   #22
earwax69
Ctrl+Altl+Chicken

portfolio
Thierry Fortier
Montreal/Osaka, Japan

I will not have to build a workstation after all as my new job will be on a Mac Pro 12 cores 2012. I was a bit meh at first because it's probably the 2.4ghz model but after thinking a bit, the turbo boost will take care of that. At 3.x ghz, It should be faster than my current workstation anyway.

Not sure they will let me install windows but 12 cores will be nice!

Old 02-26-2013, 02:00 AM   #23
AJ1
User

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
A J
Indiana, USA

Ahhhh, so soothing to have a nice level headed hardware discussion after all the non-sense on the GD and News Fourms.

I found this article which has some nice info on the subject. (not a huge find as it was the second result on google after searching for arm64)

http://www.realworldtech.com/arm64/

It seems like all the Linux distros have already released versions that should run on arm64, almost 2 years before the hardware hits the market. I guess Windows 8 already runs on the current arm32.

I couldn't dig up any press releases from Intel saying that they're working on anything RISC, but I'm sure their up to something. Or maybe they'll fall in line for once and start making ARM chips.

-AJ

Old 02-26-2013, 02:22 AM   #24
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

many-RISC is the ARM original philosophy and offer.

Intel wants to compete in that market with their Atom Line, which is already successful on the laptop end of things. It's a rehash of x86 fundamentally, and already 64bit capable (although unused as such in smartphone platforms, it's available on some laptops).

You can look up Clover Trail for the short term perspective, and they have other gens planned. For now very mobile oriented, of course even if they planned to they wouldn't upset the server world balance by stating they are looking at Atom based clusters, but it doesn't mean they won't, or aren't already.

They are lagging behind, still, especially compared to Tegra, but Clover Trail is a considerable gap closer compare to some abysmal previous offerings.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 03-08-2013, 11:09 AM   #25
mustique
Expert
copywriter

I lately predicted that if the X86 architectures demise continued and intel fabs didn't pull out chips at full capacity over an unusual period of time, intel would turn into a contract manufacturer like TMSC.

According to rumours, that's on the table now.
http://appleinsider.com/articles/13...-a-series-chips

Old 03-08-2013, 01:58 PM   #26
tswalk
Expert

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustique
They are too late for tablets and phones, as no OEM in the world would want a lock-in into intel architecture.

I would disagree with this... Intel has been working for a while now on this and we should see this year some new things happening:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di...ller_Media.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustique
I lately predicted that if the X86 architectures demise continued and intel fabs didn't pull out chips at full capacity over an unusual period of time, intel would turn into a contract manufacturer like TMSC.

That article is complete Apple drivel..., Intel has worked with other mobile companies to get its' mobile cores in production to compete against ARM. We should begin to see that this year hopefully with Avoton.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #27
okmijun
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Zdravko Barisic
Architect
Belgrade, Serbia

Haswell will have no more than 4C/8T, so, basicly, the 3930K is THE ONLY MONEY WORTH investment right now, for personal workstation, with budget till 1000-1500, with no fancy stuff like dual socket Xeon mobos, Quadros, and Keplers....
i-9xx, i7-2600, or i7-3770 are still good enough if there is no budget for 3930K

Old 03-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #28
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread