Combine Glu3d GPU and MassFX to make water push/float objects?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #1
Combine Glu3d GPU and MassFX to make water push/float objects?

Basically the topic, I tried making the PWrapper object a kinematic body, crashed max heh. I am just looking for ways to make the water effect the objects in my scene in ways other than just collision.

Old 12 December 2012   #2
Glu3d gpu doesn't support collision that affect the movement of objects. Also it doesn't support massfx. It's still in early stage and developing. What you can do is that output particles in PRT format and load that PRTs in pflow and affect object movement by those particle flow particles. Or maybe reverse way, you can make glu3d gpu particles meshed and use as collision geometry and convert objects into pflow particles which you want to affect. So when meshed particles come in touch with those objects (which is pflow particles) you can trigger the movement.

So far glu3d gpu development is going slow, I wish it continues developing, coz it has quite potential and only plugin in 3ds max to do water fluid sim inside max.

Last edited by jigu : 12 December 2012 at 05:39 AM.

Old 12 December 2012   #3
Thanks for the input I will tinker with it. Yea nice to have a solution inside max, but what really gets me excited about it is the speed, its just so incredibly fast.

Old 12 December 2012   #4
You will be able to fake this reasonably well when you can get your hands on Thinkbox's Ember, assuming you can get the data you need out of Glu3d. I know it writes PRT but I have no idea what channels it writes.

Your only other current solution is to setup in max, pipe the shot into Realflow for the solve, then bring it back into max.

Last edited by JohnnyRandom : 12 December 2012 at 09:42 PM.

Old 01 January 2013   #5
You can pipe the prts into PF with Krakatoa and then use Rayfire in PF mode to do the sim.

Old 01 January 2013   #6
Originally Posted by jigu: So far glu3d gpu development is going slow, I wish it continues developing, coz it has quite potential and only plugin in 3ds max to do water fluid sim inside max.
Phoenix FD supports fluid/liquid simulations, splashes, meshing, etc.

-Eric

Old 01 January 2013   #7
Originally Posted by PiXeL_MoNKeY: Phoenix FD supports fluid/liquid simulations, splashes, meshing, etc.

-Eric

Sorry for the shameless plug, but can we do splash like this https://vimeo.com/46018322
with phoenix FD? so far I have seen example of phoenix FD of simple fluid emission and filling container with fluid particles.

Old 01 January 2013   #8
Should be doable. Boat wave/wake, waterfall, splash test, and the videos on the product page should show you what is possible.

-Eric

Old 01 January 2013   #9
Thanks for sharing those videos. I didn't see it before. It sure looks promising. That makes it two!

Old 01 January 2013   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread