Old 02-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #1
andyman121
Veteran
portfolio
Andrew Brownridge
Manchester, United Kingdom

Animation plot data

Hi,

Does anybody know if there is a way to export the plot data from the graph editor in Maya? I can see the time/value plot data using Spreadsheet... from the Curves menu in the graph editor, but would like to be able to export this to create a graph in other software (such as MatLab or Excel) using time as the x axis and the value as the y axis.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Andy

Old 02-07-2013, 06:06 PM   #2
Nyro
Lurking

portfolio
A. D.
Vertex Slinger
Munich, Germany

You can easily do this with a script, either MEL or Python. The latter would probably be recommendable due to it's more advanced string editing methods and most importantly the inclusion of an XML module.

Edit:

here's some example python code. very simple, creates an xml on C: with the time/value information for every curve selected in the GraphEditor

Code:
import maya.cmds as cmds from xml.dom.minidom import Document xmlDoc = Document() root = xmlDoc.createElement('curveData') xmlDoc.appendChild(root) animCurves = cmds.keyframe(query=True, name=True, sl=True) for c in animCurves: curveElement = xmlDoc.createElement('curve') curveElement.setAttribute('name', str(c)) root.appendChild(curveElement) keyTimes = cmds.keyframe(c, q=True, tc=True) for t in keyTimes: frameElement = xmlDoc.createElement('frame') curveElement.appendChild(frameElement) value = cmds.keyframe(c, time=(t,), q=True, vc=True)[0] frameElement.setAttribute('time', str(t)) frameElement.setAttribute('value', str(value)) file = open('C:/animInfo.xml', 'w') file.write(xmlDoc.toprettyxml()) file.close()

Last edited by Nyro : 02-07-2013 at 07:27 PM.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:07 PM   #3
Faux
Expert
portfolio
Dee Mae
Salis, GB

Built in method (...read 'Not pretty')

File>Export[] choose move format.

Altho' if I had need to do something like this often I'd write/use something like what Nyro was kind enough to write above

Old 02-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
andyman121
Veteran
portfolio
Andrew Brownridge

Many thanks for the reply's. I couldn't find a built in method, not sure I fully understood the post, but I have Export All and Export Selection, and I think this just relates to the objects within the scene rather than plot data for the anim curves.

I tried the script and got this error...

# Error: IOError: 13 #

You'll have to excuse my dumbness, I've no experience with scripting.

Last edited by andyman121 : 02-08-2013 at 06:22 PM.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #5
Nyro
Lurking

portfolio
A. D.
Vertex Slinger
Munich, Germany

Can you turn on linenumbers in errors? You can do that in the script Editors menu.

But just by looking at the error, I'm guessing you either a) don't have a C: drive because you're not on Windows (are you using a Mac?) or b) you don't have file creation/write permission.

Old 02-08-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
andyman121
Veteran
portfolio
Andrew Brownridge

Hi, yes with line numbers this is the error:

# Error: line 1: IOError: file <maya console> line 27: 13 #

I am on windows and do have a C drive, and on my home PC so should have full permissions

Old 02-08-2013, 06:56 PM   #7
Nyro
Lurking

portfolio
A. D.
Vertex Slinger
Munich, Germany

weird. works perfectly for me.

Try creating the file manually first (just create an empty textfile and rename it to animInfo.xml)

Old 02-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #8
andyman121
Veteran
portfolio
Andrew Brownridge

Done.

Apparently I didn't have permission to save to C: as you suggested earlier, and I found out when trying to create the file manually. Strange that - I must have changed the permissions at some point (or the computer has gone off on one)

I changed to save to my H: and it worked fine.

Thanks for your help!! (y)

Old 02-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
Faux
Expert
portfolio
Dee Mae
Salis, GB

Quote:
I couldn't find a built in method, not sure I fully understood the post, but I have Export All and Export Selection, and I think this just relates to the objects within the scene rather than plot data for the anim curves.

File>Export Selection... File Of Type == move
select channels | From ChannelBox > Save
Saved move file has saved values of channels/time

I mainly use this for bring info in from afterEffects, but hey, it's all plain text

Old 02-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread