New CPU and/or GPU ?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

03 March 2017
New CPU and/or GPU ?

Hey Guys,

atm i am learning 3D and Visual Effects here in Germany and i am in the situation that i could upgrade my System. But i am not shure what will be the most effective.

Current System:

i7 5820k @4GHZ
Palit GTX 980 Ti Super Jetstream
16 GB DDR4 2400 RAM
Custom Watercooling

Now with the new Ryzen and the new 1080 Ti i am thinking that both would be nice to have.

I am working/leaning with Maya, VRay, Arnold, Mari, Nuke, zBrush and sometimes with Substance Painter.

I am not shure if all these are using mostly CPU or like Mari and Substance do heavy GPU Work when it comes to 4k/8k.

So i would love to know what you guys would say about my thoughts and now with these new CPU and GPU out there for a good price.

Mike

03 March 2017
The only thing I would do is double your ram. And switch to an SSD if you haven't already. The main components are perfectly fine still, and it would be a waste. Save it until you start to hit limits with your work, learn to optimize scenes first, and then see if hardware will help.

03 March 2017
Agreed. Your current system is still pretty hot, an upgrade now really won't bring you much difference. 980Ti to 1080Ti will be 50% faster at best, but unless you're gpu rendering you really wont feel it as most 3D apps are cpu limited long before gpu. And same with the cpu, a 6 core i7 at 4ghz is going to be about as fast as the best 8 core ryzen, and by most counts they have very little headroom in overclocking so there's not really anywhere to go from there.

If you want to spend some cash, cap out the memory to 32 gigs and perhaps look at a nice M.2 1TB SSD

03 March 2017
Thank you for the fast answer here This will help me spend my money in a better way. 32GB of Ram will be here soon. This was planed even before you guys told me but still thank you.

So there will be other things to work on. m.2 is a good idea even if i do have a SSD inside.

And maybe a bigger RAID. Atm working on 500GB SSD / 2TB HDD and 3 x 2TB External HDD via USB 3.

One 8TB Drive from WD or some other brand out there would be nice. If you do have some Tipps to spare at this kind of hardware i would love to hear these Ideas

Best Wishes from Germany

Mike

03 March 2017
A Good Graphics Card CPU Combo Under $200 i3-7100 and RX 460 or GTX 1050 While AMD's budget options might provide you with a few more cores, they'll likely give you a lot less performance

reply share thread