Looking for Samir from Navié Effex

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by mustardseed: Thank you Joel and Luke, for the great info and tips!

I’ve played with Effex demo in the past, and while it produced some really awesome results ( I found the mesher quality very impressive) it always seemed very technical and complex to me. I’m about to get a demo of Xp to see if it’s any easier to work with fluids.
I found XP to be a lot easier to work with in terms of modifiers - as they're very goal oriented. "I want to create a vortex, so I sue the vortex modifier." "I want to animate it along a spline, so I use the follow Spline modifier" etc - whereas the Effex modifiers were more granular - "Building block" in nature.  Each  has its pros and cons. 

Xp was/is lot more stable - but the liquid meshing and simulation aspects have always felt a bit too metabally, so I'm looking forward to seeing the Effex mesher built in. 

Also, Effex  had some really high level type stuff, with custom fields and volumetric modifiers that had great promise, but were difficult to use. I'm hoping Insydium can figure out a way to get them all working together harmoniously. 

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier: I found XP to be a lot easier to work with in terms of modifiers - as they're very goal oriented. "I want to create a vortex, so I sue the vortex modifier." "I want to animate it along a spline, so I use the follow Spline modifier" etc - whereas the Effex modifiers were more granular - "Building block" in nature.  Each  has its pros and cons. 

Xp was/is lot more stable - but the liquid meshing and simulation aspects have always felt a bit too metabally, so I'm looking forward to seeing the Effex mesher built in. 

Also, Effex  had some really high level type stuff, with custom fields and volumetric modifiers that had great promise, but were difficult to use. I'm hoping Insydium can figure out a way to get them all working together harmoniously. 
These two packages really do compliment each other well.  My biggest disappointment in the XP4 update was the fluids.  They're serviceable for random splashy mograph stuff, but realism is still lacking compared to Effex or RF|C4D. Hopefully the Effex tech can be incorporated in a user friendly way.  Some of it, such as the mesher you mentioned, would seem to be relatively easy to port over since Effex can already deal with XParticles and was compatible with OpenVDB in its last version..  I would also imagine things like the particle sampler shader would be a pretty straightforward addition. One thing I really miss is the Effex "everything can control everything else" constraint system, but that would seem to be a much more complicated task. Hopefully Insydium's new release schedule means we'll see some of the Effex features sooner rather than later.

reply share thread