texture map size?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 02 February 2017   #1
texture map size?

I'm working on texturing a simple scene for an animation (not game asset) and in the process of UV unwrapping the objects. One object, the floor, is a long narrow object and when set in the typical square texture map area it takes up a relatively small amount of space. which means it might not get a large amount of pixel space for good detail.

Is there any reason to stay within a square texture map? I have the ability to make rectangles but am not certain if a square is better - maybe for the computer to calculate?

Also, what would be recommended for texture size (using a square for reference) 2048 for 4096? obviously the larger it is the more computing it takes.

Old 02 February 2017   #2
in this case it's kind of standard to expand your UVs beyond the 1:1 area. just make a tileable texture and scale your UVs until you get the look you want.

since this is your own work, texture size is based on what your computer can handle. 2048 should be able to handle your needs but if you're planning on getting close to texture in question you may want to go 4096.

Old 02 February 2017   #3
Thanks Organism0,

I appreciate the feedback.

reply share thread