Interactive display of 3D models online (computer & mobile devices)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
Question Interactive display of 3D models online (computer & mobile devices)

I've been researching a solution for this for a few days without much luck. I seem to be finding a lot of old discussions about it (2005-2010) and a lot of old software, but nothing new. Has no progress been made in this area? I've done the old objectVR thing (rendering 360 degrees around an object then compiling into QTVR or flash.) But isn't there anything better? More streamlined? Preferably something that will work across browsers, without plug-ins, and on mobile devices. Am I expecting too much?

Seems like online panorama viewers are plentiful and easy to use and create, but nothing object oriented.

What I would like to do is to display a model of a 12 story building online that can be rotated freely and would have hotspots to click and bring up more info. Ideally, I'd do it without actually creating a model but somehow stitching a bunch of photos together, although I am guessing this is not possible. So if I create a realistically textured model of this building, how can I display it online in a non-clunky, modern-looking way?

Any thoughts? All input greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

rockstarkate.com

Old 05 May 2013   #2
I have found that Flash can work, depending on the format of the 3D object and of course its complexity and detail.

Also, I would suggest a game engine such as Unity. The learning curve may be a bit steep, but it outputs to both PC, console and mobile. And the imagery is high quality.
Santa Clarita, CA

Old 05 May 2013   #3
www.3dvia.com will do this for you on mobile devices and computers..

Old 05 May 2013   #4
For 3d web presentation I don't see that the content is secure yet. The company above lets you upload material to their servers and allows you to restrict viewing to a chosen audience if you want. I don't see a possibility for you to include controls on a UI overlay like you want.

Unity is a great solution but you want your content to be viewable without the necessity of downloading software to support the playback. I really understand why you would want to exclude downloading due to corporate firewalls not allowing anything through. Unity requires a player download.

You have gotten good advice so far, I am curious to see if there are more alternatives as well.

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Unity is the best possible solution for you.
you can check few presentations ive made on the following link.

1-youtube video of real time visualization, interacting using touch screen -
Realtime Architecture

2- same visualization in webplayer, youll need unity plugin if youre not using chrome.
Real Time Architecture

3- interior of a hospital ward
Real Time Interior

4- orbit around a furniture object, same can be used for exterior of a building.
Real Time Visualization

5- same solution can also be used to prepare augmented reality solutions
Augmented Reality in Architecture

Old 05 May 2013   #6
Thanks for the replies, I will look into them.

I should share how I have done this in the past in case anyone is interested in it. It works, but it's clunky and looks outdated to me.

Object 2 VR

rockstarkate.com

Old 05 May 2013   #7
Unity is very cool, and does exactly what I would like to do. Now we need something like this that works across browsers without plug-ins.

rockstarkate.com

Old 05 May 2013   #8
Hello,

I am actually looking for a similar solution at the moment. browser based and easily distributable interactive objects with a ui overlay. I need then for the purpose of training, i.e. how to change the oil in an engine, so the model would need to be pre animated and use buttons to play through the steps and move around the object to see it form all different angles.

There is one company who have made their own software for this and charge thousands to release apps for training etc, but their software is not publicly available.

I have come across Wirefusion which seems like it may be a step closer... http://www.demicron.com/wirefusion/index.html#

if you do a search there is a free beta download of version 6, although funding seems to have fun out a few years ago and production halted/slowed. Although I may be wrong this is what it seems.

Does anyone have experience with wirefusion?

I used object to vr in the past which has very limited capabilities. I have also played with flash but my main purpose is iPads so that doesnt work.....

Regards, William.

Old 05 May 2013   #9
This video of wirefusion seems to have elements that could be useful... http://vimeo.com/9628902

Clickable animated objects, this could probably be coupled with a user interface... support for html5 etc.. bingo??

Old 05 May 2013   #10
I have had a play with Wirefusion and it is pretty clunky! :s Hopefully the learning curve would be OK....

here is the tour which seems to be what we are looking for (see washing machine demo.... )

http://www.demicron.com/wirefusion/tour/index.html

after some ipad tests I find out that you need to use the new version (beta) to export an html5 compatible servlet, ans support seems to have stopped for the software so i wouldn't reply on it... gaaah...

Last edited by WChestnutt : 05 May 2013 at 03:27 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread