Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 11-07-2012, 01:17 AM   #16
winston3d
Veteran

portfolio
David Winston
Los%2BAngeles, United%2BStates

You've really captured his spirit, as in regards to the reference photo. My only nitpick is the outline of the iris looks too sharp, and not dark enough. Also the reflections of the cornea could be adjusted, because they look a little flat.

But good job overall!

Old 11-10-2012, 07:44 AM   #17
Milivoj-Lemonade3D
Expert

portfolio
Milivoj Popovic
Lead modeler
www.lemonade3d.com
Split, Croatia

Yea, likeing it! A quick fix is also to make the buttons stand out more, by making them more plastic looking. Just a simple black with some specular and the smallest amount of reflection. Right now they appear almost made out of the same material like the suit. This will break up that part of the composition and make the suite more beleivable, imho.

Old 11-10-2012, 10:52 AM   #18
hbajramovic
Poly Freak

portfolio
Hasan Bajramovic
Senior CG artist
Blur
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina

Send a message via Yahoo to hbajramovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milivoj-Lemonade3D
Yea, likeing it! A quick fix is also to make the buttons stand out more, by making them more plastic looking. Just a simple black with some specular and the smallest amount of reflection. Right now they appear almost made out of the same material like the suit. This will break up that part of the composition and make the suite more beleivable, imho.

I agree with Milivoj on this one although I'm not sure if those buttons are one of those that are covered with cloth or not. I think it would also help to make them a bit thicker or bigger. Did you try adding some white "fluff" on the cloth ?

Old 11-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #19
PKD
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Kiadaw Phua
Hobbyist not Hobbit
Germany

I made a paintover to describe the problem of the chest I mention earlier.

The main problem why the chest look unnatural, I think, is that the orientation of the chest is slightly different in the photo & your model.

In the photo, the chest face more towards the camera, which means more of the chest area can be seen. In your render, the chest is orientated slightly more away from the camera, so by right, less of the chest should be visible. However, presumingly, you wanted to match the outline of the chest to the photo, particularly at the right side of the image, you probably expand the chest area forward. I sketch the wires over the 2 images to give you an idea.

Normally, I encourage people to model key details (in this case the collar), then detail it by sculpt. In the screen caps, it seems you choose to sculpts (correct me if I am wrong) the collar out of high density mesh. This result in the staircase step effect due to the extrusion. The way to improve it is to tuck meshes where the collar join with the main jacket inwards, as seen in my image, it create thickness to the collar & create an under shadow to improve the quality.

Otherwise, the rest of the image looks good. Face matches almost like the photo (except maybe the eyebags, which seems a little exaggerated in the model (but it could your art style)

Old 11-11-2012, 08:27 PM   #20
PredragKrishan
Veteran
portfolio
Predrag
Novi Sad, Serbia

Thank you guys for comments!
I agree with Milivoj to, so I have made bigger buttons and I also think that they are covered with cloth. I've added hairs to the cloth to get that "fluffy" look. Thanks PKD for paintover you helped me a lot to see the problem with his chest. So, here is a new render so tell me what you think.
Cheers

Old 11-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #21
Dmaxer
Lord of the posts

portfolio
Danny McAuliffe
3d modeler/ script writer
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to Dmaxer
that looks much better , great model well done

My Website

Old 11-12-2012, 04:23 PM   #22
mister3d
Expert

portfolio
asdasd adsasd
Kiev, Ukraine

Good work! His nose bones should be less translucent, so you have to fix that SSS map. Now it looks like from wax. His forehead looks somehow boring, I think it needs more work. It's the shape that needs more work, male foreheads are more complex in form.

Last edited by mister3d : 11-12-2012 at 04:26 PM.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #23
xtrm3d
'' polygon pimp ''

portfolio
christophe desse
Technical Artist
naughty dog
santa Monica, USA

Send a message via ICQ to xtrm3d

a great subject choice .. and a nice result

Old 11-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #24
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread