Dyle, Jason Cuenco (3D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 06 June 2014   #1
Dyle, Jason Cuenco (3D)

Title: Dyle
Name: Jason Cuenco
Software: zbrush maya mental ray
Submitted: 18th June 2014

Character sculpt practice with a concept artist friend of mine. He presented a character sheet he was working on and did a rapid 3d sculpt to further the development.

The process took about 2 weeks where I built, sculpted, textured, colored and posed the character in Zbrush. I made use of the new version's 'Zsketch' utility which allows one to build a model by adding volume and form to a basic skeletal shape, much like how traditional armature and clay figures are made. Once I had textures, and color in, I posed the character and exported the geometry into maya where it was assigned shaders, lit and then finally rendered.

The most tedious part about the whole process was managing the many separate files and revisions I produced, each of which -because of their size- had the ability to bring my computer's memory and processing power to its knees if I loaded them and pressed buttons in the wrong way. My desktop is a quad core, 6 gigabyte ram machine, and yet it was no match to Dyle who, by the end of the process had a main file that tipped the scales at 1.54 gigabytes...

Still, the process ended up being quite fulfilling. Not only did I learn a lot, I also finished it just in time to present at a recent interview.

reply share thread