Character Creation for Unreal Engine 3

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
Character Creation for Unreal Engine 3

Hi everyone,

I was hoping there might be some people here with experience in Unreal Engine 3.

As part of a school assignment I have to built a character in Maya fit for the UE3. Problem is I have no clue where to begin or what to look for.

Things I was wondering about for example are what polycount limit do I have (char is based on the Batman: Arkham Asylum game) and how does the Level of Detail work (as in what product do I need to deliver to make LOD work?)

Thanks in advance!

Old 02 February 2013   #2
The budget usually depends on the character's "status" in the game, it can be anywhere from 6 000 to 21 000, for Arkham the following budgets where used:

Bane - 25, 000
Batman (Armoured Knight) - 21,304
Croc - 20,940
Thugs - 7,000
Up to 25K for main characters

Source from Rick Stirling:
http://www.rsart.co.uk/2007/08/27/y...-many-polygons/

As for LODs, you can knock down around 50-60% of the polygons at each LOD level (unless you have been told specific numbers for each). If you get your hands on the character SDK for Unreal, the LOD levels are included with the rig, so you can get an idea on the numbers.

Old 02 February 2013   #3
Thank you for the fast reply ^^

The budget does help, but I'm afraid that I'm still a little confused on what the end product should be.

With the LoD levels, do I have to export 3 different meshes or is there a specific format that UE3 uses to switch back and forth between the levels?

Old 02 February 2013   #4
So you were told to jump into UDK without any actual training from your teacher? I find it odd that i'm the one supposed to tell you what to look for...

The end product should be around 25k for a main character that has complexity to it, if you were to model characters that are meant to be cannon fodder and not the star of the show, they'd be around 7k, since they usually like to gang up on you. A typical main character would probably be 15-20k range. If that was your question.

Anyway, "Static Mesh LODs can be imported along with the base mesh in the Content Browser or they can be imported individually through the AnimSet Editor."

Here's all the info you need:
http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/FBXS...lti-Part%20LODs

I suggest poking around the wiki for even more info. Have fun!

Last edited by Psyk0 : 02 February 2013 at 11:37 PM.

Old 02 February 2013   #5
Thank you so much!

Edit:
Just read the site you just gave and it was exactly what I was looking for.

Last edited by MarijkeBroos : 02 February 2013 at 05:00 PM.

Old 02 February 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread