Sci-fi Environment Concept

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
Sci-fi Environment Concept

I am working on this Sci-fi environment piece and I am hoping to get some critiques on it to make it better (professional polish). I am rather new to concept painting and only have a few pieces done. Please let me know what you guys think and if you have any tips or tricks to make it better please feel free to post them. Thanks y'all.

Last edited by jaxeller : 01 January 2013 at 11:27 PM.

Old 01 January 2013   #2
Polish is something that comes with a lot of practice, as well as observation and analysis of what you see all around you, including the works of artists you admire. Experimenting with different brushwork, as well as trying to do copy/studies of work you really admire can help a lot too.

But polish is not what's important about concept art.

If you have any aspirations to become a concept artist, what you need to study is design. Concept art isn't about making pretty pictures--the drawing and painting skills is only there so you can portray the designs. If the design is terrible, no amount of polish will ever save it (just like no amount of amazing cinematography and acting can save a really bad screenplay).

So if you are serious about concept art, you need to study the subjects that are related to what you're trying to design. For example, you have buildings and spaceships and landscape. Research those topics and learn how they work, how they are designed, how is geography formed, etc. Learn about form vs. function, ergonomics, as well as research the history of the subjects, such as the history of architectural styles, spaceship designs, etc. Without having adequate knowledge about the subjects you're trying to design, you'll just come up with illogical designs that have no basis in reality or even appear credible, and your usage of the design language such as shapes, color, contrast, etc will be at the most basic level and lack sophistication.

Old 01 January 2013   #3
Thank you for your thorough and constructive critique. I am serious about becoming a concept artist and will definitely do as you have suggested. In the past I haven't done much reading up on / studying of subjects; Instead I would just smash ideas together with very little knowledge of how or why things work, but that is gonna change. On top of studying more I will also practice and experiment more. I really haven't been doing either and is probably one of the reason why I haven't been able to make that jump in artistic skill that I have been wanting to make for so long. I am the artist that sits down in front of his computer--Photoshop and references open--and expects to make awesome immediately. Again, thank you.

Old 01 January 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread