Equivalent To Maya's Birail and Boundary Tools in 3ds Max

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
Equivalent To Maya's Birail and Boundary Tools in 3ds Max

I usually create surfaces with Loft, Birail, and Boundary tools in Maya. Below picture shows what these tools do:

Now I have to use 3ds Max to do it. For Loft, I can use CrossSection and Surface modifiers. What are the equivalents of Birail and Boundary tools?

Old 01 January 2013   #2
Nurbs......

Old 01 January 2013   #3
You don't want to use NURBS in 3ds Max.

There's a loft equivalent in 3ds max which is called ...Loft. Would do the job on #1 and #4. For #2 the Bridge function in Edit Poly would be an option, for #3 I'd go for spline, cross-section and surface

Old 01 January 2013   #4
Originally Posted by scrimski: You don't want to use NURBS in 3ds Max.

There's a loft equivalent in 3ds max which is called ...Loft. Would do the job on #1 and #4. For #2 the Bridge function in Edit Poly would be an option, for #3 I'd go for spline, cross-section and surface

For job no 1, I prefer to use CrossSection modifier....

For job no 2, I also like to use CrossSection modifier...

For job no 3, I need to generate surface from 4 curves. This is very easy to achieve by using Boundary tool in Maya. Do you know tool similar to that in 3ds Max?

For job no 4, I need to generate surface from 2 profile curves and 1 rail curve. Yes I think I can use Loft for that.

Why should not I use NURBS in 3ds Max? Is it not as flexible as Maya?

Old 01 January 2013   #5
NURBS in 3ds max just suck big time(being very diplomatic here).

Old 01 January 2013   #6
Originally Posted by gotanidea: Why should not I use NURBS in 3ds Max? Is it not as flexible as Maya?

It's just terrible and outdated, some say it have not been updated since max 3.

You either work with poly or buy power nurbs plugin if you're planning on doing serious job using nurbs in max.

Old 01 January 2013   #7
For job no 3

Originally Posted by gotanidea: For job no 1, I prefer to use CrossSection modifier....

For job no 2, I also like to use CrossSection modifier...

For job no 3, I need to generate surface from 4 curves. This is very easy to achieve by using Boundary tool in Maya. Do you know tool similar to that in 3ds Max?

For job no 4, I need to generate surface from 2 profile curves and 1 rail curve. Yes I think I can use Loft for that.

Why should not I use NURBS in 3ds Max? Is it not as flexible as Maya?

For job no 3 try this: Convert the 4 splines in editable spline, attach theme and weld vertices, add the surface modifier and finally add the editable poly modifier using nurms flag

Old 01 January 2013   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread