UV Seam Corruption Workaround?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2012   #1
UV Seam Corruption Workaround?

Hi

So I'm experiencing this problem that others have mentioned where seams I didn't intentionally create show up after I have made some topology modifications to the model. This is the case where every polygon edge now has a seam and each of the polygons UV seams has two edges sharing the same UV space (like islands that touch). When I unmark UV seams the UVs disintegrate.

I've seen other posts where a suggested workaround is recreating UVs using XYZ coordinates. However, for me this is a problem because there is a portion of the original model's UVs that I need to preserve. This is critical because I am Geo Grafting (replacing part of an existing rigged figure's geometry) in DAZ Studio and I need to be able to properly blend the UV maps of the old and new geometry without a visible seam. For Geo Grafting to work, the old and new geometry must have a single row of polys that are coincidental wherever new and old geometry meet.

It's also been suggested that you can select two edges and apply Merge to remove a seam. When I do this, it appears to do nothing because after I have completed the operation, I still have the blue seam and two edges sharing the same UV space. If I make any changes to other portions of the UVs like unwrapping, UVs start collapsing here too.

So I'm hoping that some one can suggest a workaround either by avoiding conditions that cause the "every poly has a seam" bug or fixing the UVs after seam corruption, allowing me to preserve or restore portions of the original UVs. I wish snap worked in the UV window, then I could snap to the UVs of the original geometry after recreating using XYZ. Also being able to turn off Silo's auto-UV-mapping would likely stop this from happening, but I don't think there is a way to do that.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 09 September 2012   #2
parris im new for silo..

what i experienced when i merge objects, order is important.. first selectted object will move to the second object.. node or edge.. also it will define the merged object, means it remains the property of the secondarly selected..

so if logic working you select blue edge first and merge to a nonblue edge.. the result will be a nonblue edge..

i dont know if it helps helps you..

silo has some very experienced users.. you could ask dasch, you can find him on stratacafe..

by the way,have you tried to send from dazstudio to hexagon? and back?

Old 09 September 2012   #3
Hi dawg,

Thank you for your suggestions. It's really nice of you to put forth this effort to help. I think your logic and observations about how Silo works are good ones. However in my case there are no non-blue ( non UV seam) edges once the UV corruption occurs. Using your logic I could create new non-blue edges inbetween and then merge a blue edge to the new edge. But then I would need to move the new merged edge to where the original one was located. This would bring me back to entering UV X and Y values for every point on every poly (often hundreds of polys in an effected area) which would not be practical.

Still I appreciate the help you have offered. Thank you.

Old 09 September 2012   #4
parrish

im reallysorry i cant help.. but for silo,as i wrote many experienced user exist... some of them made official tutorials.. they can be find on the old locked silo forum..

antony ward, teyon, southerngrafix and many more you can find simply to type their name and silo 3d in google..
they can help you.. also i wrote dasch name whos expert also of uv wrapping and rendering..

reason i answered you,because it looks terrible a very good program without forum.. what is established here on cgsociety... its a caricature of a supporting forum...
i dont know if those people signed up over here anyway..

imagine, some user spent hundreds and thoushands of hours to helping another users, FREE..

now those users, or professionals are locked out of what they made.. so they migth never come back..
thats why i suggested you try to looking for them..

sorry again if you feel i messed up something..

Old 09 September 2012   #5
Oh no, Dawg. I'm sorry, I should probably have been more specific about acknowledging the other help you offered ( the mention of other experts I could contact to ask for help) and my appreciation of that. That is what I meant to say. I don't feel at all like your suggestion of what to try with merging edges messed up things for me (not one bit). I was just explaining some about why that wouldn't work.

I actually have many years experience working with Silo professionally. But I'm much less experienced posting in forums and asking for help. I usually just search existing posts at the Silo Forums. This thread was a repeat from over there because no one responded and I saw that they were locking it.

So though I know of some of the professionals you have mentioned, it probably never would have occurred to me to contact them personally and ask for help or even how to get a hold of them. So again, with this second response you have helped me even more!

Also, I share your opinion about this truly great program and the sad state of affairs in lack of hope for future development (for serious bugs like this one), and now the decline of user to user support.

I've tried other modellers and nothing compares for me. I've heard Modo is great, but for me the price is an arm and a leg.

Anyway, thank you again for all your help!

Old 09 September 2012   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread