Website stealing my personal work for their own use without permission

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

10 October 2017
As somebody else mentioned.
Watermarks.

Make your public content 'just' pain-in-the-ass enough not to get 'borrowed-without-hassle' but still show that you can 'make-kewl-stuff'
Then keep an unmarked version on your local, personal reel that you bring to interviews only. etc. Obviously keep that version offline.

10 October 2017
Originally Posted by axiomatic: I have no idea if this would work but, if you can find someone to write Chinese for you, then contacting the school and telling them to remove this would, eventually, yield results. Often it's not easy, bureaucracy being what it is here, but if you persist they'll get rid of it.

I think you'd get a better result contacting the actual IP holders and letting them handle it. At the end of the day the image is a (hopefully) non-commercial work that uses IP that isn't yours, so you have no skin in the game here.I haven't written an email in Chinese in years but I could potentially kludge something together.HonestlyI doubt they'd reply or do anything withoutthreatof legal action, but if it's something OP feels strongly about then IMO he has a right to express his view to the school about it.

That said, I think copyright isn't the biggest issue here. To me it's that the school is using the issue to mislead prospective students by using images on the website that have no relation to the course - even if the image was bought and paid for it'd still be false advertising because it doesn't accurately represent the product.

10 October 2017
another thing you could do is look at it as an opportunity. Back when I was a t-shirt artist and was into airbrushing, I knew a now famous artist (Dru Blair - https://www.drublair.com/) who painted an incredible image of a B1 Bomber screaming across a lake bed (https://www.drublair.com/collection.../products/power). This was his transitional period from airbrushing t-shirts at malls and the beaches to being a full time illustrator. The military thought it was their photograph (after all, who could get such a shot like that) and used it in their promotional materials. He did sue the government for copyright infringement, but dropped the suite because...well, because its the government and technically, Boeing, designed the aircraft and is the IP owner.

However, the government loved his work and he became an official illustrator for the military. It gave him access to all kinds of aircraft, including getting to take rides in Apaches and fighter jets. He made quite a bit of money as well.

So the moral of the story, think about how you might be able to do business with this school. Especially if you are able to figure out a way to communicate with them and make it a painless and profitable experience for them.

Remember, re-bracket your thinking from a glass that is half empty to a glass that is half full and you will find plenty of water in the deserts when others cannot. At minimum, ask for credit to be given to your name and your website for the work being shown.....

Another buddy of mine become incredibly skilled at CorelDraw over a few months. CorelDraw wanted to use his work for advertising. He was like, yeah, sure. His worked was published internationally, then he started getting so much work he couldn't keep up with it. Now he's an expert, and gets paid to speak at conferences as well as makes decent side money writing tech articles for some magazine.

There is stupid money out there to be had. You just have to find the not so well worn trails that will lead you to that revenue.

Don't play the finite game (winner / loser and loser goes home). Play the infinite game. Sometimes you loose, just so you can keep playing. Sort of like losing a battle, but winning the war. The win is being able to sustain a career for as long as you want and to do it mostly under your conditions. You'd be surprised at how many people cannot do that.

Last edited by XLNT-3d : 10 October 2017 at 12:02 AM.

4 Weeks Ago
@unnaccompanieddminor - Thanks for the reply, you are right, trying to get others involved could definitely help. I posted initially out of shock more than anything else but after seeing some of the other opinions here I would say it is actually most valid that they have taken work in order to sell something that they very well might not be capable of producing. I feel bad for the potential students that may actually sign up as a result.. Anyway I have now found someone who can translate for me so will be in contact with them soon. Let's see.

@Jon - thanks for the reply. Some very sound advice here and I really appreciate that you took the time to respond. You couldn't be more spot on, so thank you. As I mentioned above I will be getting in touch with them soon.

Will feedback to you guys if I hear anything.
Again thanks

4 Weeks Ago
I did some digging around and I found an IPR help desk for help with China's intellectual property laws.
https://www.iprhelpdesk.eu/china-helpdesk

I've also heard about the overseas art theft. There's been tons of companies stealing designs from indie artists in order to make cheap knockoff products due to trying to be competitive and popular against local markets.I'm no lawyer, on my part time job I stock the shelves for a third party Merchandiser and the people I got to talk to at the gift store were school teachers specializing in Fair Trade products. Half of the stuff we get is wrapped in recycled magazines and the products in the ads matched the pictures of the box they were taken out of.

The knockoffs in theory are supposed to look like the picture. So far according to customer reviews on YouTube the products are sad imitations by default and legally the owner of the image and the owner of the product are supposed to be well aware of this. That's what I found from snooping in the packing materials in the backstock even though I can't read a lick of Mandarin. Good Graphic design has a way of speaking beyond words sometimes and the hungrier companies usually follow trends set by bigger industries.

If the person doesn't know what product their artwork is endorsing then by company standards the course creators are lying to their students. Thus the artist can demand to have any and all educational materials sited back to their original owners per the IPR laws revolving around education and not lying to their clients. To sweeten the pot, they have to cite their sources back to the Tron franchise too just like you would cite in a bibliography. So that's two infringements against them though laws vary from country to country. Again I'm no lawyer.

One of the places I register a timestamp with Myows, a free website for copyright referral services and they legally have permission to remove unapproved reposts of artwork the artist was not aware of. I had a few questions on infringement myself and they were really nice in helpful with any questions I had.

4 Weeks Ago
Check out what's going on with Blizzard. Of course, they are a power house with plenty of $$$ to chase and shut people down.

http://mashable.com/2017/10/13/over...t/#hDDjIB0Wdmq8

I know with the people creating t-shirt designs to sell on Amazon and other online outlets, they say their designs get ripped off fast, especially if they are high sellers. They just keep making more designs and moving forward. Get you money and run basically.

3 Weeks Ago
Hi Wrench,

There's nothing wrong with sending an email (if you can get a translation) claiming an infringement and asking for the work to be taken down, in fact this is usually enough. They probably don't want negative comments left etc.

If they were in the EU there's actually an EU small claims court which can be effective in pursuing copyright infringement (one of the many advantages of EU membership...) - sadly it has no jurisdiction in China.

Good luck though, hope it works out!

Matt
Backplate Pro

3 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by unaccompanieddminor: I think you'd get a better result contacting the actual IP holders and letting them handle it. At the end of the day the image is a (hopefully) non-commercial work that uses IP that isn't yours, so you have no skin in the game here.I haven't written an email in Chinese in years but I could potentially kludge something together.HonestlyI doubt they'd reply or do anything withoutthreatof legal action, but if it's something OP feels strongly about then IMO he has a right to express his view to the school about it.

That said, I think copyright isn't the biggest issue here. To me it's that the school is using the issue to mislead prospective students by using images on the website that have no relation to the course - even if the image was bought and paid for it'd still be false advertising because it doesn't accurately represent the product.

Oh I totally agree on both counts here. As I mentioned, I actually didn't really focus in my email to them on the fact that the work didn't belong to them. Instead I implied that because the work didn't belong to them, and the person who made it was no aware they had stolen it, they should remove it before a potential student finds out and it embarasses them.

With most of these cases in China you *can* make people take action it's just so frustrating and time consuming to do so. No one wants to take responsibility so you're searching for a needle in a haystack by talking to multiple people until it happens. It would be much easier to do it through a court of law frankly.
Critcal feedback example #62: "Well instead of the Stalinist purges and the divorce and the investigation ... it could be about losing a balloon."

reply share thread