WIP - Grand Maester Room

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

10 October 2017
WIP - Grand Maester Room

For one of my University modules this semester, I am creating a 'Grand Maester' type room. The Aim is to have it fully modelled and unwrapped this semester and then next semester I will be texturing and lighting it. The room will have a potion/apothecary area at the bottom but will also contain stairs which will lead to a library section. I will be trying to document my progress each week and would appreciate any feedback during the process.

Here is my block out for the room. I originally had a circular shape for the room, but decided to go with a Decagon just just be a little bit different. As the room slowly gets made I want to ensure the room is packed with a variety of unique and quirky items that the maetser has collected throughout his life.

Last edited by lewismarks : 1 Week Ago at 04:29 PM.

10 October 2017
The concept and block modelling had been occurring for the last couple of weeks, So I have now started on the real thing. I decided to start by making the stairs and landing as they help to define the structure of the room and will help me when i need to model main cabinets.
I am a little unsure of the banister pillars at the moment, but I will continue on and consider changing when more of the assets have been made, and i begin to develop to the look and feel of the room.

10 October 2017
I was advised to go back to my block model and try a basic light rig to help further the development of the room and help me identify the areas which will be more visible than others, Also adding basic books and jars/bottles to really help gauge the feeling of the room. I brought in the stairs and banister that I had made into the block model.

10 October 2017
I also have been working on the ceiling structure as well. The main challenge for me with this bit was figuring out how all the wooden beams would be joined. In my block model version I was quite reckless and just had overlapping geometry, but this time I had to figure out the best and most realistic way that it would happen.

10 October 2017
This week I've been working on the main assets in the room. The main challenge I've faced was getting the cabinets to work with the shape of the room.
A lot of the blank spaces (like side panels on the table) will be filled with some ornamental detail, although I'm unsure whether to do the sculpt and use the high poly in my scene, or do the work as a texture to help keep my poly count down at the end.
My next main focus will be figuring out the detailing and working on the door and window.

11 November 2017
After some feedback from my lecturers, I have spent the last couple weeks re designing the room. I pushed the ground floor back, to make it larger than the upper level. Struggling to think of how to fill the extra space, I opted to have one corner where he would grow plants and the other where he would operate/see patients. However i still have some areas that i am struggling to fill, without feeling like i'm just filling space.
I also changed the style of the bookcase, making it curved, and inset one of the wall segments, to create an area where he could sit and read.

Some of the assets are still blocks/stand-ins, so now the design is basically there, its now a big push to get all the assets modelled.
Any feedback, greatly appreciated!

3 Weeks Ago
Had a big push on the assets over this past week or so, trying to get as much done as possible. Have one blank space of wall which i am still trying to figure out how to fill, thinking maybe a grand clock or some cool map like is often seen on GoT.

Some assets are still lacking some detail (Like picture frames) and i'm still unsure whether just to sculpt it now or leave it for texture work as my poly count is really starting to rack up now.

Just got to keep adding as much detail in places as i can and keep churning out assets.

1 Week Ago
So i decided to fill the blank space on the wall with a steam clock, which i feel works quite well.

Another big development this week was the flooring. After some advice it went and modelled the stone slabs, and managed to randomise each one with a slight height and rotation, to create a non flat flooring. I did some basic texture work on them to as i thought i was quite essential to do at this stage to get a sense of the room. I still need to tweak the displacement map as its not quite there yet.
I also have filled the plant area properly, and added some vines to the wall to create a more interesting look.

With a week to go until I need to have everything done, its now a case of finishing a couple of the assets (Adding window panes of some description) and filling the spaces where possible.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

1 Week Ago
It looks better with the recessed erea's in the back. But i keep having a strange feel about the diagonals in the bookshelf. Can be a matter of taste
but somehow they don't fit really with the ( is it renaissance style ? ) architecture. Viewing the bookshelf and the arches above

1 Week Ago
I also think the diagonal parts of the bookshelf really disrupt the great linear flow in the rest of the scene. You've got all of these great vertical lines repeating throughout your scene, then there's the bookshelf that just feels... off. Not sure if you're willing to change your design at this point, though. Aside from that, It's looking great. It might be nice to see something else on the central table other than vases. I guess I don't know what the purpose or story of your room is, but maybe there are maps and more candles, books, scrolls, eye glasses, and such strewn across the table. Keep up the good work!

1 Week Ago
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback!

I understand where you are coming from with the diagonals in the bookshelf. I did a couple variations for it, and my lecturers thought the diagonals were the best choice, as they wanted me to break up the repeating vertical lines in the room. I will give it a think, and take this to them next time i see them to discuss this further.

1 Week Ago
I think you should try to incorporate the arc like shape, similar like in the windows, to that bookcase instead of that diagonal lines. Those diagonal lines really don't fit your overall design.
So I'd suggest to try to think of some arc designs and show your teacher. Im sure he might like it.

1 Week Ago
there are flow of "lines" if you want to be architectual. Vertical with horizontal works with the arches and ornaments on the ceiling when there is
a good transition to them.
Or, the diagonals have to have a curve too. Then it would match better. Placing them in a way so, that the flow of lines continue or intersect
the right way.

reply share thread