How would GTX960 perform for 3dsMax?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

11 November 2017
How would GTX960 perform for 3dsMax?

https://vimeo.com/242014650

11 November 2017
The poly count for that scene is way too high, you don't need it that high for what you have there.

11 November 2017
Originally Posted by darthviper107: The poly count for that scene is way too high, you don't need it that high for what you have there.
It is just to show the capability.
You never know when you would need that much .

4 Weeks Ago
i think it performs pretty acceptable especially for its price

4 Weeks Ago
could you the same test with an 1080 just so we can compare

4 Weeks Ago

I used a 1080 in the office and a 1060 at home. I barely notice the difference to be honest.

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by ACiD80: could you the same test with an 1080 just so we can compare
Send one for me!

4 Weeks Ago
Why do you use Geforce cards vs Quadro or professional workstation type graphics cards?

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by sdeters: Why do you use Geforce cards vs Quadro or professional workstation type graphics cards?

Geforce is cheaper and faster for GPU rendering, but they have less memory usually than a workstation card. A workstation/Quadro card is more reliable and can handle large amounts of data better, however they are extremely overpriced and to get one that gives enough performance you have to get one of the more expensive ones, whereas the gaming cards are better than similarly priced Quadro cards.

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by sdeters: Why do you use Geforce cards vs Quadro or professional workstation type graphics cards?
This is my home computer and I don't do freelance work.
So.. my wife doesn't allowQuadro.

Also I mostly do animation which means I deal with deforming mesh more than high res static mesh.
For deforming mesh, your CPU clock speed is far more important than GPU.
For this, particular case, I think better GPU would make difference.

4 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by NorthernDoubt: I used a 1080 in the office and a 1060 at home. I barely notice the difference to be honest.
Why would you? It's mainly about the RAM and if you have enough, you have enough. Most arch-viz is only a single building too. I was fine with a gtx770-4GB until I started a personal project that involved downtown LA.

4 Weeks Ago
Quadro for 10-bit colour subject to compatible monitor and necessary for print work. As well as proper CAD applications such as Solidworks. 3ds max is essentailly a computer-game environment, directX, and would not benefit from a Quadro at all. Unless you absolutely, positively, needed more video RAM than a Geforce was able to muster.

Last edited by SD3D : 4 Weeks Ago at 10:12 PM.

reply share thread