Lucasfilm Shows Off the Future of Filmmaking?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2013   #16
I think we are going to the opposite pole, there is more post production than ever.

Old 09 September 2013   #17
I hate that phrase "the future of filmmaking". Its quite possibly A future, but definitely not THE future of filmmaking. Its just another tool in the filmmakers toolbox.

That said, there is nothing really revolutionary about this technology, it seems to be a polished version to a similar system they used on Avatar.

Regardless of being the future or not, or being new or not, it looks really cool!

Old 10 October 2013   #18
Wow. I don't see any reason that eventually the quality couldn't rise to CG levels. The stormtroopers looked great, the Trandoshan was definitely game-level though.

Also, one of the clips on that page is "Justin Bieber gets hit by grenade".

Last edited by Richard7666 : 10 October 2013 at 02:11 AM.

Old 10 October 2013   #19
Originally Posted by harovas: Thanks for the link.

Nice video. It was certainly great quality, bit also absolutely videogame quality (which is still fantastic).

However, I don't think it is really the future, it is actually more like the present.
You can do almost all of that right now in CryEngine.
Certainly the rendering part. The mocap is really nice,
and seems very stable, but that isn't revolutionary either.

The time of day changing is a common feature in nearly every videogame sandbox editor, especially in CryEngine.

Again, thanks for posting it though!

That's ironic, since several monitors clearly show the Unreal Engine (the interface looks like UE3 but it could be UE4). And although I agree that most of the technology already exists, the tech is not the most important part in such circumstances. I prefer the Unreal Engine over the CryEngine because of its tools such as the material editor and Cascade which can do more than the CryEngine equivalent. But of course that's my own opinion. Still, it's remarkable they use the Unreal Engine.

Old 10 October 2013   #20
the question is, as someone allready mentioned- how does it cope in a real movie scene situation...
These presentation which are tailored for optimum efficiancy are often misleading..

non the lest i was very impressed with the quality and creative implications..
though i was just as impressed with rin-tin-tin..

Old 10 October 2013   #21
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread