Pinto, Steven Stahlberg (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #16
Unhappy where would you put them?

Originally Posted by Stahlberg: Thanks. The image came first, the story later, so if they don't match that's fine by me.
About the harness - where would you put it? On her shoulder/arms/hands? Then she becomes even more captive. As it is she can easily grab the reins with her hands and yank them down, then buck forward throwing the rider off.
Or would you put it in her mouth, like we do with horses? Isn't that worse?
I suppose you're suggesting he should just speak or shout commands to her... well that can be slower than reins, and also misinterpreted or not heard at all. My wife says "Left" all the time when she means "Right", and I have to think twice too sometimes.
Or perhaps you want her to be the one in command, merely carrying him as baggage. Ok fine. But to me that's a less interesting image. shrug

It is eight hours and i still don't see my reply. So i suppose i'll write again. as a person who has ridden and trained horses for over 25 years, i can tell you that reins are an afterthought once a horse is trained, and are considered the harshest method of communication. we control a horse with shifting weight -- a horse can feel a fly landing on it and shiver that exact muscle to dislodge it, so you may imagine how sensitive they are to weight. My horses turn and change their leads when i merely turn my head and look where i want to go. we also use leg pressure, and some voice. But 95% weight and legs.

You have also drawn the male conversing with the female so we assume they have a common language, so he can communicate his intensions at sppeed - racehorses flat out hear every cluck and hyah! of their jockeys. Plus if this man ever fell off holding those reins (as happens often enough) he would rip her nipples off. If it was a male centaur would you have the reins on rings through his testes?

This harness is offensive and disturbing, and i agree with the poster above, it smacks very much of male domination/controlling a female through pain, and s m. Had you left out your attachment method, or had him holding reins attached to a shoulder harness, i would have thought this really nice, very expressive because the 'mulish' look on the female's face (pun intended) is hilarious. as it stands, it shows a lack of sensitivity to women, and your comment about where to out the reins? When a horse and rider trust one another and work together regularly, reins and a saddle aren't required. google ' deaf mute girl trains horse' and see what she has done with the mare in two weeks. watch the way the horse is constantly licking its lips, showing great willingness and receptivity.

BTW, i don't see a pinto anywhere, just a bay.

Old 02 February 2013   #17
There's a waiting period on this site for your first 5 posts to be checked by a human first.

Yes I've ridden horses, and even though most of them did exactly what I wanted, I was thrown off one that refused to stop, broke into a gallop, turned and jumped an obstacle, just because she felt like it. But I suppose you'll say it was me, that I somehow subconsciously wanted to get thrown off or something, and thus subtly signaled unintentionally.

as a horse trainer you must know that 1. horses are less intelligent than humans (or centaurs), and 2. trained from foalhood to do as we direct them to. This to me means that a centaur with it's own presumably antagonistic will (as I tried to portray in the facial expression you mentioned), high intelligence, and no training whatsoever, might not listen to voiced commands, or shifting of weight.

He needs something to hold on to her while talking to her, otherwise it's like why does she not just walk off. One reason for the attachment point is, the breasts are covered with as little material as possible, without being fully exposed (which is an even bigger taboo than SM here, go figure), and it all makes sense because there's a story reason for it. I would hate to just put a centaur in a sexy harness without any kind of obvious story reason, now that would be truly gratuitous. Shoulder harness? You're free to state your opinion, and as an artist my considered response to that is, that would look really really dumb.

Old 06 June 2013   #18
Originally Posted by Stahlberg: ... a centaur with it's own presumably antagonistic will (as I tried to portray in the facial expression you mentioned), high intelligence, and no training whatsoever, might not listen to voiced commands, or shifting of weight.

So she is a slave, forced to do his will?

Originally Posted by Stahlberg: ... and it all makes sense because there's a story reason for it. I would hate to just put a centaur in a sexy harness without any kind of obvious story reason, now that would be truly gratuitous.

So that she is enslaved by the man is your reason? How can that not be derived by the picture alone?

Sorry but your explanations seem like BS excuses to me. Why not say they are in a relationship and have some S&M fun? Nothing would be wrong with that.

Old 06 June 2013   #19
Just spotted this. Great image and original concept, Steven!

Old 06 June 2013   #20
Skyraider thanks!

Old 09 September 2013   #21
Great Work!

I really like this image, all of the negative crits are misguided. Unfortunately people are gonna see whatever they want, based on their own insecurities and worldview. Great work, keep it up! I like your story line as well. Would love to see more images reflecting your story idea.

Old 09 September 2013   #22
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread