My Studio is in danger of collapse, any suggestions?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2013   #46
I would privately contact the other two programmers that left and find out if they would be willing to come back if the problem guy was gone. Based on the success or failure of that and recruiting for another programmer I would make the decision about whether I would be willing to deal with this person as a studio mate. If you aren't already a member of a local or relatively local Siggraph chapter you should consider that for networking and building motivation to keep moving forward.

Old 09 September 2013   #47
This is always tricky to handle. You need to approach young person with certain expertise in technical knowledge who is most likely a bit introvert. Old conventional ways like you seem distant, whats the problem lets go for a beer and talk don't work as he is probably seeing right through it and its made with a purpose of trying to pinpoint him as a problem and therefore not really honest.

You also approached things solely from your point of view, as off my company and my dream are in trouble because of this guy. See how the things are put. Its no longer us, our company and, most importantly, our dream.

Your visions seem to part at some point. He sees himself as an important part of the company and he probably doesn't seem to get back what he expects for what he gives. You are, on the other hand,probably, preoccupied with the project itself to see the clues he most likely be sending.

If you want your project to be done you have two ways. You can get rid of him and move on for better or for worst. Pay him out and done deal.

You can also inspire him to continue on. He, above money and all, needs a reason to continue believing in what you all do. There has to be a trigger somewhere. You mentioned he finished college. He might started thinking about the future and reconsidering his ways. He might feel college dreams don't work anymore and has to concentrate more on his own carrier. He might be uncertain about both options, staying or leaving, which causes him to shut down on you or anyone.

If you want to keep both him and the project, I believe you'll have to take the second route.

At this critical moment you have to find the way to make everyone in the team believe in the company and the project it self. To get him to wholeheartedly believes what you all doing its right and that he is an important part of it. Make them all believe you will succeed.

I think that is what separates good and mediocre team leaders. Yeah, it's easier to just let him go and split ways, where both parties are going to loose. You will probably loose more in there, as he can get a job as a programmer, while if you loose the project and maybe the company itself. Challenge lies in persuading everyone you are in the same boat to success.

At this time, you are in the test. How well you manage to inspire everyone to bring the project to the end. This one and the one after and the one after.

Hope I helped!

Old 09 September 2013   #48
It's pretty tough to live off of $600 a month. And since you are all right out of school, I'm guessing you don't all have tens of thousands of dollars saved up to float you through a year or two.

If he's a talented programmer, he could be making 7 times that right out of school plus be getting benefits. If his attitude changed suddenly, it's very possible he has talked to another friend or classmate who got a nice paying job, has stability and benefits and your friend is wishing he had gone that route instead.

You either have to figure a way out to reignite the passion, or cut him loose. A negative attitude on a team is a virus. It will spread and bring everyone's morale down. A single person with a bad attitude can kill an entire company if not dealt with in time.

My general opinion is that you should get a couple of people that have experience on the team to help you out. School is one thing, but there is a reason companies pay big bucks for people with several years of experience.

Old 09 September 2013   #49
Originally Posted by akademus: I think that is what separates good and mediocre team leaders. Yeah, it's easier to just let him go and split ways, where both parties are going to loose. You will probably loose more in there, as he can get a job as a programmer, while if you loose the project and maybe the company itself. Challenge lies in persuading everyone you are in the same boat to success.

I'm afraid I think you're quite wrong there - letting colleagues go is never easy (unless you're a sociopath) - the easiest thing is to procrastinate and allow the situation to poison the team - it takes courage and belief in your goals and your other teammates to let someone important go. It should never be done lightly, and always as a last resort, but if you want to stay in business sometimes you have to be the bad guy for the good of everyone else.
www.survivorfilms.co.uk

Old 09 September 2013   #50
Originally Posted by AegisPrime: I'm afraid I think you're quite wrong there - letting colleagues go is never easy (unless you're a sociopath) - the easiest thing is to procrastinate and allow the situation to poison the team - it takes courage and belief in your goals and your other teammates to let someone important go. It should never be done lightly, and always as a last resort, but if you want to stay in business sometimes you have to be the bad guy for the good of everyone else.

I agree. But, what would you say then about employers who would fire people on basis of redundancy and would even want to produce recommendation letter? There are quite a few business owners out there who would make a good use of shrink sometimes. I've seen and heard to many horror stories.

I don't think he has a luxury of procrastinating anymore. Things are reaching critical point where he will whether sort it out somehow with him or they'll have to split.

Last edited by Vojislav+Milanovic : 09 September 2013 at 09:43 AM.

Old 09 September 2013   #51
Originally Posted by akademus: I agree. But, what would you say then about employers who would fire people on basis of redundancy and would even want to produce recommendation letter? There are quite a few business owners out there who would make a good use of shrink sometimes. I've seen and heard to many horror stories.

See my sociopath comment.

Unfortunately you're right - there's many companies/managers out there that consider staff at best to be expendable and at worse 'necessary evils' - my advice would be that if you're working for someone like that, reconsider your career options - life's too short to spend a significant part of it working for such people.
www.survivorfilms.co.uk

Old 09 September 2013   #52
EDITED:
wrong thread...

Having said that
GUYS GET THIS BOOK:
The Sociopath Next Door
http://www.amazon.com/Sociopath-Nex...words=sociopath

It is scary how good this book is.
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 09 September 2013 at 03:54 PM.

Old 09 September 2013   #53
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread