A stable link to the VFX Oscar winner's mic getting cut

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #16
They cut a lot of speeches, they even cut the mic on that lifetime achievement award winner 2 years ago I think, that old guy? I felt so bad for him.

Old 02 February 2013   #17
Originally Posted by Pyke: Honestly, I think this is just theorists seeing a conspiracy where there isn't one. The mic was cut because his speech went on for too long. The Oscars have been known to do that, so much so that they actually poked fun at themselves this year by using the Jaws music.

If they don't cut speeches, the ceremony would be a few extra hours longer! It just happens that his cutoff happened when he was trying to get a point across that affects the VFX community, that the people in the community are noticing it.

He knew how long he had on stage. He should have made his points first, and thrown out the thank-yous after.

This.

Also, it's not censorship to pull a copyrighted clip from YouTube. Stop looking for conspiracies everywhere, it's not helping anybody.

Old 02 February 2013   #18
Personally I don't think they were attempting to torpedo the VFX industry, but I do think the Oscars cut off his mic because they didn't want to be a political podium. Boy did that backfire.

Old 03 March 2013   #19
Originally Posted by NanoGator: .......but I do think the Oscars cut off his mic because they didn't want to be a political podium. Boy did that backfire.

I don't think so, and I doubt they could have made a bigger mess of it if they had actually tried to.
I think it was just arse about face bad timing and it backfired on them and made the organizers look very bad in the eyes of the VFX community.

Old 03 March 2013   #20
Well, the Jaws music started way before he mentioned R&H, it started when he thanked his family and maybe that's where they expected him to finish anyway.
I can't really blame them for cutting his mic. He must've known how much time he had, usually you prepare a speech no? They started the Jaws music exactly after 45 sec, still leaving him slightly more than 1 min before they cut his mic. And he didn't even mention anything before 55 sec.
So yeah ... I don't really see anything wrong there.

The stupid introduction with RDJ and SLJ and Ang Lee's speech are worse than this to be honest.
But all of that stuff is just driving people away from the real problems that go much deeper, but are way more boring to discuss than "Oh my god they cut his mic!"

Old 03 March 2013   #21
He could have handled it cleverly by opening his spech with a funny, something like "thanks very much for this great honour. By the way before I go further, I just want you all to know I'm available for work from next week as R&H have gone belly up and left us without a job."

If he had got the point across early it might have made people who count aware of the situation.

Old 03 March 2013   #22
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread