modifier - mesh - bone - mesh - priority mess

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #1
modifier - mesh - bone - mesh - priority mess

Hi, I've probably tried to be smarter than i am and have run out of talent, but i'm rigging a cartoon character and wanted to use the bend and twist modifiers to control the spine (i've never been able to get the splineik to behave as i want it to). Any way the way i did it was to create a plane that the modifiers do their stuff on and then i used spline deformer to align this to a curve mimicking the spine of my character. With a bit of trial and error i got this in the correct position and then rigged up some bones and nulls so that now i have a spine made of bones that follows the motion of the plane after being deformed by the modifiers. Theres a bit of lag in the rig but i'm sure refactoring it and figuring out the right priorities would sort this.

The big problem is the Mesh. I've had to set a lot of the rig, everything from the spine up, to use 'generators' in the priorty list. This means the mesh, even with the skin tag having a priority of 'generator' and number set higher than everything else, lags badly behind the rig.

Should i have not used modifiers in the rig like this? Is there anythink i can do, or anything you can think of to fix this.

Thanks

adam

Old 01 January 2013   #2
Hi, i can make the file available for anyone to have a look at. I don't want to place it on the site and make it freely available to anyone. I might get into trouble.

adam

Old 01 January 2013   #3
Hi, heres a stripped down version of the spine:

click here to download

adam

Old 01 January 2013   #4
I'm looking at the file and to be honest I can't see how this is a better setup than just using Spline IK. What does this do that you can't achieve with Spline IK? This seems over engineered to me and with the way deformer prorities work (or often don't work when you start layering things) in Cinema I can't see this being very practical to work with.

If you really don't like the way a Spline IK tag handles the twist what you can do is just use it to position the joints, then have a second set of joints that are position constrained to the spline IK joints with up Vectors controling the twist for each of them. I rigged a ribbon like this for a job recently where the ribbon had to create very specific shapes as it animated (in Maya as it happens but the same method will work in C4D) and it worked great, each joint along the ribbon mesh had it's own up vector which gave very precise control over the twisting of that section. Generally for a character the twist control in the Spline IK tag does the job for 99% of cases though IMO.

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Horganovski : 01 January 2013 at 11:12 PM.

Old 02 February 2013   #5
Yeah you're right, i went with a splineik in the end and it worked pretty good. I really liked the out-of-the box deformation i was getting with the deformer but realistically a splineik will be easier to work with during animation. I think the main issue i have is in creating controllers within rigs and thats something i'll just have to spend time on researching.

thanks

adam

Old 02 February 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread