Okino Software on Mac?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
Okino Software on Mac?

Any Mac users out there actively running PolyTrans/NuGraf under emulation with Parallels/VMware? If so I'd love to hear your views/feedback, as I'm currently considering to purchase PolyTrans.

I've tried Moi and while it works, it's painfully slow and buggy on the Mac. It's always running out of memory even though Activity Monitor shows tons of free RAM (I have 16GB). I simply can't convert to a clean mesh with higher poly counts due to the memory limitation.

Freecad doesn't work for me as I'm on 10.6.8. Rhino on Mac doesn't seem to import many formats. I'm going to try ViaCad next.

Thanks in advance!

Old 10 October 2012   #2
I don't know about actively using it, polytrans is one of those apps that i don't need often but it does work via parallels. If you're looking at Mac nurbs modellers, have you looked at the new FormZ?

Old 10 October 2012   #3
Thanks LoopCorp!

I'm not actually looking for a NURBS modeller. I got handed a .stp CAD file and I've been looking for a way to bring it cleanly into C4d for me to texture and animate. So I've actually been looking for a convertor, I guess.

Although if FormZ can do as good a job as PolyTrans can at converting files, and is priced similarly, it's worthwhile having it as a tool to modify CAD models as well as convert them. Is that what FormZ does?

Old 10 October 2012   #4
No, its a modeller. I used to use it years ago when it was pretty much the only good modelling package on Mac but it became a bit of a dinosaur when sds started to dominate. They've completely rewritten it with some great new technology and it looks quite interesting to me again, though I haven't tested it yet. I'm sure it'd handle .stp files.
If you've got this one file and you want me to run it through some of the packages I use, let me know.

Old 10 October 2012   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread