Lighting Challenge #9: Neon and Chrome

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 04 April 2007   #361
Hi guys!

This is a great challenge, learned quite a lot working on it for a few days! Great submissions so far, here's mine:

Artist: Hristo Velev
Software: 3DS Max, Mental Ray, Digital Fusion

Thanks!

Last edited by Glacierise : 04 April 2007 at 11:54 AM.

Old 04 April 2007   #362
Not about the car

I know this is off the subject and nto about the neon challenge but I wanted to ask you Jeremy and anybody else who is in the industry, mainly Jeremy. Poly counts. My friend wants me to keep all my stuff under 150 poly's and that's how it is in the industry and I shouldn't put any of my models on my portfolio becuase there appareantly too high. Is that true for ply counts in the industry? I've seen alot of professional work out there and their stuff is high poly. I've seen a few stuff in pixar and their stuff has more ply counts than all my work combined. lol.

Anthony J. Thomas

Old 04 April 2007   #363
Hi,

\\off
The only field where polycount is restriction is games - they need to render realtime, cooperating with the GPU and the pipeline isn't endlessly wide But with offline software rendering there is no such problem.

Let's try to keep the discussion in the right places, shall we?

\\off

Old 04 April 2007   #364
Doodlerboy - IMHO, your question re. poly count is entirely relevant here, since we have finite time for rendering, and finite soft- and hardware resources with which to do it. Therefore we have to make all sorts of decisions on a case-by-case basis, such as, "If I reduce the LOD for a background object, will this reduce the quality of the rendered image, and if so, is it worth it if, by so doing I free up resources to use for some other, more important feature ?". Maybe bump or displacement mapping can do the job just as well, with less render time than using modelled detail. Or maybe not - displacement mapped surfaces can be considerable slower to render than their modeled equivalents. So I suppose the answer to your question really is, "Not too many, not too few, just enough".

Old 04 April 2007   #365
And here is my attempt at this challange

Rendered in 20 mins with vray and then some finish up in photoshop.

Old 05 May 2007   #366
titanwong31 - Nice job on the animation. If you do another animated version you can just post a link to it instead of the animation itself.

Glacierise - Nice job! If I were making suggestions, I'd say some of the textures look very deeply bump mapped, especially on the road, more color mapping, more reflections and highlights, and less deep bump maps might help. Also, the lighting seems to use a fairly consistent fill color inside the garage, outside, and in the headlights, if the different areas could have different colors and tones motivated by the different light sources it would make for a more interesting image.

doodlerboy - I guess that efficiency in general matters. Employers might want to see wireframes and care about the poly count and topology and how things were built. But even a game developer might want a modeler would could build things more detailed, so showing off your more complex models in your portfolio sounds like a good idea, even if the only hi-poly models some developer ever made were for the box art or for baking normal maps. Not that I'm an expert on any of this, I never worked in games or focused on that stuff myself.

RazorJack - Nice job! The texture on the road could be taken further, maybe with more reflection or color map of asphalt? You have some nice indirect light in some places, maybe the neon tubes on the wall don't look as if they are emitting very much light to illuminate the wall near them.

-jeremy

Old 05 May 2007   #367
Yes, Mr Birn, sir! I guessed about the overdone bumps myself, and the different light tone in the different parts of the environment is a great approach! Lesson learned!

And huge thanks to you, for taking the lead in this forum! I'm starting a camp here

Old 05 May 2007   #368
Hey, what's up with the gallery? When will you have time to arrange it? I hope it'll be soon.

Old 05 May 2007   #369
The gallery is on-line for this challenge:

http://www.3drender.com/challenges/...hrome/index.htm

If anyone wants a correction made (such as if you didn't use your full name on cgtalk and want your name corrected) please PM me.

Old 05 May 2007   #370
The Challenge Continues

This is an old challenge now, this thread is archived. If you scroll down to the Challenge #9 section of the downloads page, you'll see that the models can still be downloaded for your tests, and also that a gallery has been made of top entries. Feel free to browse this thread to see what others have posted, even though you can no longer post here.

-jeremy

Last edited by jeremybirn : 06 June 2009 at 01:41 AM.

reply share thread