Still no normal map viewport display?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  04 April 2013
Still no normal map viewport display?

Is it still not possible to display normal maps in viewport? Thank you.
 
  04 April 2013
i am not sure what you expect of an open gl normal map display, but normal maps
are and always have been supported by the open gl view of c4d.
 
  04 April 2013
Originally Posted by littledevil: i am not sure what you expect of an open gl normal map display, but normal maps
are and always have been supported by the open gl view of c4d.

I never made it to work in bodypaint for some reason. It simply shows only lowpoly.
 
  04 April 2013
Originally Posted by mister3d: I never made it to work in bodypaint for some reason. It simply shows only lowpoly.


That's because Bodypaint has been left to die by Maxon. There is no normal map support in Bodypaint at this point so you might want to look at alternatives. 3DCoat has very good uv and painting capabilities. In fact, it beats C4D by miles.
 
  04 April 2013
Originally Posted by mister3d: I never made it to work in bodypaint for some reason. It simply shows only lowpoly.

Are you trying to paint normal maps?
 
  04 April 2013
As Adam said, Normal maps are neither a paintable option nor supported by Software Shading.

What you CAN do, is paint in the Bump channel, and then use the painted texture in the Normal channel using a Normalizer shader.

Also, please try to avoid listening to Firebeard as he doesn't like C4D and will only tell you what Can't be done, rather than how to solve a problem.

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.
__________________
----------------------
noseman.org
 
  04 April 2013
Another question mister3d.
What resolution is the Texture you're painting? If the texture has good resolution, you shouldn't see pixelation.

Can you give us some info on the texture you're painting?
__________________
----------------------
noseman.org
 
  04 April 2013
Originally Posted by noseman: As Adam said, Normal maps are neither a paintable option nor supported by Software Shading.

What you CAN do, is paint in the Bump channel, and then use the painted texture in the Normal channel using a Normalizer shader.

Also, please try to avoid listening to Firebeard as he doesn't like C4D and will only tell you what Can't be done, rather than how to solve a problem.

If you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask.


So why are you attacking me now? Did I give you any reason to do so? I stated that C4D's Bodypaint can't display normal maps in the viewport cause Maxon has been ignoring it for years. Are you trying to just ignore that fact? People have been asking and wondering about that for year so please spare me your "Firebeard doesn't like C4D" talk.

He probably wants to see the normal map displayed while he paints the texture on top but can't so I gave a solution and that is to use different software. Simple as that.
 
  04 April 2013
Hello, thank you for replies.
I wanted to view it to fix some errors generated after baking normal maps, as fixing it just by looking at it as a color map is not a solution. As it takes into account fixing lowpoly normals (it has abrupt color transitions where lowpoly transitions are to make the rounder, more like hipoly look).
So it's not that I wanted to paint them but rather fixing them, and a previewer for this would be beneficial.
 
  04 April 2013
Originally Posted by mister3d: Hello, thank you for replies.
I wanted to view it to fix some errors generated after baking normal maps, as fixing it just by looking at it as a color map is not a solution. As it takes into account fixing lowpoly normals (it has abrupt color transitions where lowpoly transitions are to make the rounder, more like hipoly look).
So it's not that I wanted to paint them but rather fixing them, and a previewer for this would be beneficial.



Well I don't know what your budget is like but as mentioned earlier 3DCoat is really flexible when it comes to painting normal, color, specular, etc and is also priced at a very fair level. If you have a bit more money you could go for Mari.

Besides, 3DCoat has a nice bridge to Photoshop so you could easily fix your normal map in photoshop, save it and go back to 3dcoat and it would automatically be updated. Very handy.

Last edited by Firebeard : 04 April 2013 at 07:26 PM.
 
  04 April 2013
Originally Posted by mister3d: Hello, thank you for replies.
I wanted to view it to fix some errors generated after baking normal maps, as fixing it just by looking at it as a color map is not a solution. As it takes into account fixing lowpoly normals (it has abrupt color transitions where lowpoly transitions are to make the rounder, more like hipoly look).
So it's not that I wanted to paint them but rather fixing them, and a previewer for this would be beneficial.


unfortunately that's not possible in BP.
Depending on your platform, you may try this:
http://quixel.se
__________________
----------------------
noseman.org
 
  04 April 2013
Thank you guys! I will think about your ideas you suggested.
 
  04 April 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
__________________
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
 
Thread Closed share thread



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 05:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.