Explorer's Ship

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
Explorer's Ship

So I think I'm getting close to being finished with shading and set dressing this, and was hoping to get some feedback. The lighting is just a quick Maya Physical Sun and Sky I dropped in to preview; I'm planning on going in and light it in a more painterly, Albert Bierstadt-esque manner, along with adding some clouds.

Thanks!

03 March 2013
Hey man! Nice work so far.

Looking at the small version displayed on this site the first thing I see is the rock on the right touching the sky. Because thats where the biggest contrast is. Looking at the 720p I see the blimp but my eyes are still pulling to the right towards that rock. I realize you said the lighting was temp or just for testing. But before you render the final make sure your blimp is the main focus and is the first thing you see. Make sure the lighting compliments the blimp and highlights it.

You could try darkening the shadows on the blimp while keeping the highlights. Increasing the contrast or just make the blimp bigger/bring it closer to the camera. I look forward to seeing your progression!

-Ryan

03 March 2013
Hey man,

I agree with what Ryan wrote. Maybe you could make a cliffs a little more jagged, so they don't reflect as much light right back at the viewer. I think the terrian in the background looks a little flat, and could use some detail.

-AJ

03 March 2013
I like your idea. But i think that the big separation between each element in the image is visually affecting it.
I would start by correcting each texture with gamma correctors (As you said, you are using Maya's Mental Ray Sun and Sky, so i would totally recommend it). This will help solving the repetitive color.

03 March 2013
Hey guys, thanks for the feedback! Here's a new version, with what I'm planning on to do with clouds and sky rather crudely drawn in with photoshop. I probably need to up the fill lights a bit more. Hopefully, the dark clouds behind the right cliff will help shift the focus away from them.

03 March 2013
Some revised lighting and some clouds:

Does anyone know why I'm getting the dark lines around the edges? Or that vertical streak in the water? Thanks.

I need to work with the fog more; I like how it transitions into the background in the physical sun and sky image, and for some reason I'm having a tough time getting that with the more cinematic lighting.

Last edited by Meloncov : 03 March 2013 at 09:38 AM.

03 March 2013
Paint-over in photoshop:

03 March 2013
The Dark edges come from the way you use the alpha channel.. you probabily need to premultiply the alpha channel in order to get rid of this edges

WIP

www.chatbada.fr

03 March 2013
Thank you!

03 March 2013
Ok, got rid of those edges, and tweaked the lighting a little bit. I'd still very much appreciate any suggestions on how to push it:

03 March 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread