Female Character critique please

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
Female Character critique please

Hi

I've been working on a new female character that I'd like to get some feedback on. The character is meant to be a goth with occult overtones, hence her body is covered with mystic tattoos. I'm basically looking to see if anyone can spot deficiencies/things in my model.

Here is the main still image:

Here are the various camera shots and wireframe images to show the breakdown:

and the zbrush model:

and the texture maps:

Software used included 3DS Max, ZBrush, Mudbox and Photoshop for final composites. Any critiques would be appreciated, especially things that I can improve. Thanks in advance!

01 January 2013
cool

That's a cool character!
I like the tattoos and the (kind of mysterious) look in her eyes and facial expression.
The breasts could be a bit smaller but thats my personal opinion.

One thing that seem a bit off is the pose. I think the weight could be more shifted over to her right leg. A more straightened right leg to rest on.. hard to explain but if you stand up and try that pose you might find it more relaxing to have the leg really straight, almost bent back.

Next I think the right hand on her hip could be posed differently. The thumb could bend backward.

Over all I think it's this is looking nice, good job!

/JS

..it's a trap!

01 January 2013
Hi smas

Thanks for the reply! If I understand you right, you're saying her right leg should be even straighter (her joints should not be bent at all).

I totally understand what you're saying about the right hand. I'm been trying to improve the way that looks so the thumb position looks natural. Will definitely fix that.

Thanks again for the advice .

Brian

01 January 2013
Contrapposto

Search the web for this word 'Contrapposto'
Lower the right shoulder just a tiny bit, straighten the leg and I think you will have some improvement. Remember, this is only my opinion. You are the creator

/JS

..it's a trap!

01 January 2013
Awesome, thanks for the info!

01 January 2013
Hi, just an update on the WIP:

I've adjusted the character's posture and hands like smas suggested to give her a more natural Contrapposto posture.

I've also reduced the intensity of the tattoos as someone correctly pointed out that the ink fades naturally with skin. Finally adjusted the lighting and skin hue slightly to get more muscle definition.

Any advice on the current WIP is welcome. Thanks.

01 January 2013
Hey man, the modeling is looking pretty good, nice job! The design however, no offense, is terrible in my opinion. You made a lot of cliche choices going with a non-traditional colored mohawk, which isn't a super big deal, but the tattoos overshadow the whole character. From a distance, it looks like just a bunch of scribbles all over her body. I would look up some real world reference of women covered with tattoos, and redesign her with more coherent tattoos that flow well and look like they have a purpose. It looks like there are tattoos that are even overlapping each other in your image. There also seems to be a lot of noise and hot (really saturated) spots in her skin texture

01 January 2013
Hi Polaroid29

Haha, no offense taken. You're not the first person who says the tattoos look terrible =).

Yeah I'm going to have to completely redesign her body ink it seems. I wanted her to look mysterious with the tattoos but it seems most people think it makes her look like a mess.

I do want to keep her body covered though, but hopefully I will find better designs that look more coherent from a distance.

Yeah, the noise and saturation is another issue someone pointed out. Will have to deal with that as you said.

Thanks again for the insight!

02 February 2013
Hi Guys

After taking time to look at everyone's advice, I've gone and done an overhaul on all the character's textures. I've revamped her tattoo set now to look more traditional and toned down their intensity. I've also redone her skin to decrease the AO burn. Finally I changed her legs to look like punk clothing:

Hopefully these textures look better than my last revision and the eye can actually settle on a focal point. If anyone can see any deficiencies in the model/texture/pose in this present incarnation, I'd love to know. Thanks!

02 February 2013
Huge improvements! Well done

Everything seems good to me, thickening her mohawk though might not be a bad idea.

Btw loved the design

Last edited by keyan3d : 02 February 2013 at 06:46 AM.

02 February 2013
Hi keyan3d

Thanks! Couldn't have done it without people's help . Will try the thicker mohawk and see how it looks.

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread