Mixing 5 shaders on a model? Seems impossible..

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2013
Mixing 5 shaders on a model? Seems impossible..

mib_color_mix is driving me insane.. it seems no matter what I do, any shader lower in the list (higher number) includes the attributes of the ones before it!
I'm using mia_material_x shaders plugged into the Color attributes, the mix node attached to the Material and Shadow shader attributes of the shading engine of a blank mia material added to the polygonal model.

Each shader has it's own weight map exclusive to it's area of the model, the same weight maps are used directly in the shaders too with all diffuse and bump going through alpha gain and color gain channels as a secondary attempt to make sure the shaders only display in their map's area, but it doesn't make a difference.. the layers have some seemingly random interaction.. if I do it twice the same way I get different results, sometimes layers override each other, sometimes they're placed correctly, and some will always override the entire model even if I put every damn attribute it has through a weight map! It's nuts! I've been going mental over this for nearly a week now just trying to shade this environment..
I know it hates maya bump nodes so I put those through misss_set_normal nodes before going into their shaders, but it didn't make a difference to that.. I could live with the bumps on these shaders going over each other in some ways but not the colour, I just want independent shaders not affecting each other but fading between each other >.<

Does Maya really have no way of having truly independent shaders mixed together on the same surface other than rendering it out with each one individually and compositing together with mattes? =/

I tried a mix8color node and it didn't seem to work either, had no logical way of setting it up, no support, and crashed the first time I tried to render with it, does it even work with mental ray..?

01 January 2013
Depending on the complexity of your model, you can assign shaders on a per-face basis. You can set up Quick Select Sets of your various parts, so you'd need five Sets in this case. But this may not help in what you're trying to do...

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

01 January 2013
Ah thanks but cell shading isn't what I'm after, I've got complex shaders for gravel/sand/cliffs/soil/dirt roads that all have to blend together to make a photo-realistic looking environment.

However, re-constructing the mib_color_mix for the 10th time seems to have done it.. again using the Mix mode except for my general sand shader on the Base with weight maps used in each shader for each attribute too.. gonna take a closer look now to ensure my bumps are exclusive.

The only way to be sure was to add solid colours for each colour first and test render after adding each one to make sure it hadn't made a mess of it and started ignoring the weight maps again. When I got it perfect, saved out a copy of the network for future use.

Maya seems to like me on Sundays.. better get as much done as I can before the Tuesday terror!

Last edited by dudeman38 : 01 January 2013 at 12:26 AM.

01 January 2013
What you want are the layering library shaders known as MILA. These should be in Beta next week we think.

http://elementalray.wordpress.com/2...yering-library/

01 January 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread