Is Road Kill Art?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2005
What is beautiful? Is there a standard of beauty?

The definition of art quoted above may seem waterproof at first glance, but it's not, considering there are as many definitions of beauty as there are those attempting to define it.

06 June 2005
yeah, i agree with that definition up until the point where they use the word beautiful. not only is that word extremely subjective, but i don't think art has to strive for beauty anyway. perhaps a better definition would be...

"The conscious production or arrangement of sounds, colors, forms, movements, or other elements in a manner that attempts to imitate, supplement, alter, or counteract the work of nature."

I just rearranged and got rid of parts of it. not perfect, but i think it's better. maybe the word "conscious" should be the next to go.

06 June 2005
Stupid artists have been trying to "shock" us all for god knows how long, why don't they shock us by doing something that doesn't involve dead animals for once?

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by SimonGibson: Stupid artists have been trying to "shock" us all for god knows how long, why don't they shock us by doing something that doesn't involve dead animals for once?

Because most people are stupid. Maybe the artist should have a made a tv remote in the shape of a large breasted woman.. because that obviously would be art.

Is there anything really shocking anymore?

Personally i don't think that this was an attempt at shocking the viewer.. it may be morbid and some people may find that weird but is it really any more weird than people who kill animals and mount them as trophies or have their departed pets freeze dried?

Now if doign such a thing became as popular as Britney Spears that might be shocking.

06 June 2005
Interesting. I doubt i could personally work with corpses.. but power to those who do.

06 June 2005
the majority has pretty much concluded here that this is art, regardless of how sickening it is. i think the main difference between people seeing this as art or not is dependent on what the individual holds sacred. most religions (that i know of) insist on reverence of the dead (i'll keep my opinions on this to myself, for fear of starting another 40 pages of circular arguments). that is where most of the anger in this thread is coming from.

but i agree with lord blue; don't really have the stomach to do stuff like this myself, but i don't disrespect or disregard people who can.

kargokultti, give it up girl :P this brick wall ain't budging.

06 June 2005
What can I say? My life is empty. I have nothing better to do.

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by Lord Blue: Interesting. I doubt i could personally work with corpses.. but power to those who do.

Check out the work of Joel Peter Witkin .. a million music videos and beyond owe everything to him. Marilyn Manson should be paying this guy royalties.

I don't know why people would even cosider judging wether or not work like this is art based on wether or not they would make work using the same methods, subjects and materials.

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by nineinchneil: that is where most of the anger in this thread is coming from

It is not only this thread. People here use stronger more confrontational language due; in my opinion; to 2 main reasons, annonymity, and non-physical presence (absence of body language).

We have to remember that showing anger is a deception practiced by people to show that his/her argument is stronger and hold more truth mixed with false intimidation.

06 June 2005
Might not some people appear angry simply because they are?

06 June 2005
Originally Posted by gmask: Check out the work of Joel Peter Witkin .. a million music videos and beyond owe everything to him. Marilyn Manson should be paying this guy royalties.

I've never heard of the name before.. i think i'll look him up. Always good to be 'in the know'.

Originally Posted by Kargokultti: Might not some people appear angry simply because they are?

That could be a fun philosophical debate.

06 June 2005
Quote: We have to remember that showing anger is a deception practiced by people to show that his/her argument is stronger and hold more truth mixed with false intimidation.

So true....

In my opinion, art just can't be defined. Beauty to one person may be repulsive to another. Most things in this world, by now, are subjective anyway. Everything you may hate, someone may embrace, and see no wrong in it. Art, music, war, human rights, social issues, etc.- all of these things can be subjective. And especially art...there's no way you can simply define art as 'Art is beautiful'.

Why? Because, 'beautiful' to whom? Unless there's a long, specific definition on it most current definitions like the one posted are moot.

(Still, while I wouldn't want to consider this as art, I agree with both Lord Blue and nineinchneil. I wouldn't openly disrepect the person, even though I'm personally appalled at what they do)

06 June 2005
Roadkill has been the subject of some of the best photos I have ever seen. My Photography professor in college used to go around and collect any kind of roadkill, or he especially liked birds that had flown into windows and died, and throw them on a flatbed scanner. The result was some amazing photos. The result is a little less shocking and wierd, but yes in my opinion, roadkill can be art. Here's the only example of his work that I could find.
Dead Owl

06 June 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread