Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: MORDIN, Laurent

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2005
I really like the Father and child figures, all the small details and the rim lighting is very efective. The Mother is at a tougher angle and has that hairdo to deal with. I think the issue is that she would pretty well be in silouette as well. The perspective in the image pretty well dictates that she is on a flat plane horizontal to the image's bottom edge. I would suggest a few things:

a) Leave it as it is, it's not a huge issue and you've put a lot of work into her and the message of the piece is more important than the details.

b) You put her in a silouette similiar to the Father and child.

c) You do (b) above and crank up the ambient light behind the figures so that we can see the details you want to bring out in the Mother.

A few other things are the detail level of certain areas vs others. The city / ships and people have a lot of detail (relative to their place in the composition) and work well together, as does the FG grass. For the MG trees and the mountains I would suggest adding a subtle texture layer (in Overlay mode) in Photoshop to give them just a bit more detail. Try a rock texture or a metal texture. You can use the perspective modify in Photoshop to get the texture to fit the perspective (and have the detail follow the composition a bit better). This should help pull the piece together a bit more.

One thing I would take a serious look at though is the rendering of your ship trails. Just seems too simple for the detail that's in the rest of the image. I would also make the trails brighter closer to the engines themselves.

Other than that there is some great detail and imagination in this piece and it sets a mood and tells a story. All great achievements!

Great work!

my GSO entry | my M&S entry | my PORTFOLIO |

Last edited by cgkrusty : 01 January 2005 at 07:00 PM.

01 January 2005
Thank you, for these constructive criticisms. I think more of having the time to work again the woman, my own work (not graph) is very taking , on the other hand I am going to try to modify the trees of the hills which, effectively, are less detailed than the rest of elements. Concerning the light left by reacteurs, can be a little more luminosity on the base of reactors
Thank you still for these critics and good luck to you for the end for the competition, I do not think of poster of the other messages before the end

01 January 2005
Hi MDN67,

congratulations to your picture! the colors are very well and the ambiance convincing.
Good luck to you

greetings to lovely france, dear neighbour

Fahrija

01 January 2005
Thank for the comments, and, good luck for the end

i know a little cologne, pretty cathedrale

01 January 2005
Now that's an action packed scene - definately the stuff of a space epic!

I like your process of building up the final image - you've done a great job at maintaining your original vision shown in the first sketch.

you must feel very satisfied - well done!

01 January 2005
Thank you for comments, the image asked for a lot of work, but, no, the more I look at it and the more I say to myself that there were still things check has to work, but, to be satisfied by one it is a little to consider above the others

01 January 2005
GOOD LUCK FOR EVERY CHALLENGERS

01 January 2005
congratulations on the finish, love the colours and composition, the way you handled a destroyed city with those few characters is impressive. good luck

a simple truth about life

01 January 2005
Thank for the comments, good luck

04 April 2005
La Francophonie existe bel et bine toujours et tu as le soutien de l'un de ses memebre

i find that the perspective angel was find well it matche the picture in great way ! that is not often the case always as many many 2d painters makes a lot of change in progressions like me .) fore exmple and many others but you, you follow exactly the same idea as in beggining

04 April 2005
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread