First Trailer for Edge of Tomorrow

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

12 December 2013
First Trailer for Edge of Tomorrow

Lots of sci fi and VFX trailers this week!

Here's Tom Cruise's Edge of Tomorrow, formerly "All You Need Is Kill".

Looks like it's borrowing a lot of tropes, worst of which is a massive high tech battlefield being a "shirtsleeve environment", but the rest of it looks pretty cool and interesting. The exoskeletons look a lot better here than in the early photos, and there's quite a variety.

Link - http://youtu.be/uE3JMfuPFdQ

Embed:

12 December 2013
Hmmm, trailer's kind of a mess. The terrible song doesn't help. And yeah, the shirtsleeve environment is absurd. Didn't realize what looked so odd about it at first. This seems to be a movie made of "cool moments" that have little internal logic.

Best quote in youtube comments: "GROUNDHOG DAY with more weapons and less Bill Murray"

Last edited by Artbot : 12 December 2013 at 08:21 PM.

12 December 2013
That trailer is a mess.

12 December 2013
Woah, not that's an ugly song.
But even worst, I find it extremely off putting how silly they look running and jumping around with the exoskeleton. I've heard the book is pretty interesting but the trailer is really bad. I just can't get over the music, what were they thinking with those vocals?

12 December 2013
Because … well …. this is not the end

Voice over adds an odd sensibility to the clip, maybe that was the plan …

Running through the trailer a second time, starts to gel for me …
www.perryshulakcreative.com

12 December 2013
So it's a more militant version of Groundhog Day?

12 December 2013
OK... Trailer is "OK". Not exactly stirringly good.
But not terrible.

The exo-suits really did look weird. I still think the movie would have been better served by full-on Space Marine suits (the original book/art be damned).

But... Somehow I feel like it'll still work.

Comparisons to Ground Hog Day are understandable but that idea in itself was done before by "Source Code":

And I liked this trailer better than Edge of Tomorrow's trailer.

P.S.: Anybody else noted the increasing Video Game lifted inspirations? I mean.. That visor on Tom Cruise's armor in Edge of Tomorrow is totally lifted from Jim Raynor's in Starcraft. And that new Electro in Amazing Spider-Man 2 is totally like Alex Mercer from Prototype or that guy from the PS3 game inFamous.

12 December 2013
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: P.S.: Anybody else noted the increasing Video Game lifted inspirations? I mean.. That visor on Tom Cruise's armor in Edge of Tomorrow is totally lifted from Jim Raynor's in Starcraft. And that new Electro in Amazing Spider-Man 2 is totally like Alex Mercer from Prototype or that guy from the PS3 game inFamous.

I think a big part of this has to do with all the freelance concept artists who split their jobs between games and movies, as well as the overall influence of video games and the inventiveness of a lot of game cinematics.

12 December 2013
Originally Posted by Artbot: I think a big part of this has to do with all the freelance concept artists who split their jobs between games and movies, as well as the overall influence of video games and the inventiveness of a lot of game cinematics.

Yes, that makes sense. And many film directors are probably not gamers.. so they see a "game asset design" and think that's novel enough for their film.

Or maybe they ARE gamers.. and think to pay homage to Jim Raynor and stuff is really cool.

12 December 2013
Good design is good design. Doesn´t matter what medium.

Not that I´m calling this exo-suit good design..

12 December 2013
Red face Yet another uninformed opinion ...

.... the current theatric style to one side (ya just gotta live with it in anything these years), it seems to me to be a promising story. I liked Time Cop for a similar feature (but not 13 Monkeys) .

I'm saying that time displacement by whatever means, and in this story given a convincing tech skin at least, are good fun for me.

However I have little use for the Cruise/Star thing so the big negative is a personal one.

12 December 2013
Originally Posted by CB_3D: Good design is good design. Doesn´t matter what medium.

Not that I´m calling this exo-suit good design..

By a similar token, I didn't like the Electro design for Amazing Spider-Man 2 either. The video-game similarities are only incidental.

To wit, if Tom Cruise's character were designed as a full-on Space Marine I think I would have liked that better - and that would still be a video game like design.

Was just thinking about why the recent designs looked so similar.

Another one is the AVATAR Power-Armors and the ones in TitanFall.

But yeah.. Good design transcends the product they are found in.

12 December 2013
Originally Posted by CGIPadawan: Was just thinking about why the recent designs looked so similar.

Ripley´s power-loader in ALIENS.

12 December 2013
The Exo's in Matrix ....

..... in Zion defense - but is the graphic of the exos the point here?

For one thing, there's not a lot that can be different .... an exo is an exo that's all - speaks of future setting and gives the characters extra drama in their ability to throw stuff around.

Sort of like dragons ... got to have wings, claws, breathe fire, scales horns and useful eyes ..... so anything with that recipe is a dragon. Like any other dragon.

12 December 2013

Well this is one different way to think of "Exo Armor".. Yes I'm aware it's from Dishonored.

And no... Having the design come from a game doesn't automatically make something look good or bad.

Never mind... :P

At the end of the day, Tom Cruise running around with "boxes" attached to his arms and legs.... that somehow look like twice the mass of Iron Man's suit in spite providing much less areas of protection... does look pretty daft.

It doesn't matter if it's a game, movie, TV show, or action figure line.... That combat suit don't cut it. :P

reply share thread