New Mac Pro & Cinema 4D

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

12 December 2014
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier: I've been doing mixed network Vray DR (Mac --> Windows) without too many problems.

That's good to hear. Thanks, Luke!

12 December 2014
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan: Chris, have you ever had rendering problems from a mixed network? I know at one point Stefan at VRAY discouraged mixed networks.

We have used a few old pre-trashcan Mac Pros running the Vray standalone client in our mostly PC-based setup here. We've also toyed with Net Render/TR, but given the apparent futility of getting that working, we haven't kept on with doing so pending updates from Maxon.

I can't say that I've seen any issues that could for sure be directly tied to mixing Mac-based clients and Windows/*NIX based clients, but don't doubt that there may be issues. We just haven't bumped into them that I know of (that I can recall right now in my low-caffeine state).

Seems likely to me that such issues would generally arise out of incompatibilities between the different versions the render software itself rather than anything about Macs or PCs specifically; in the end it's all just communicating via IP, and that's very standardized.

I'll maybe go search the vray forums to see if I can find what Stefan was referring to. I could be wrong, has happened before once or twice.

The one thing about the setup above that I do like a lot is the fast connection between the machines. I think that network speed is a bigger issue for ANY rendering network than many people assume, and today's standard of 1 gigabit/sec is just not all that fast when you start adding more and more machines. For a handful of render machines it's fine, but as you step up to bigger installations, this becomes an issue.

We've invested in 10 Gigabit ethernet (copper cable, RJ-45, no fiber) for a subset of our machines, and while right now we're limited to 1Gbit for some things (that live on one part of my network) just because of budgetary issues, I can say that having the fastest possible network is likely to improve both speed and stability of of any render network, regardless of the software in question. 10GbE is getting very common on enthusiast/server/workstation motherboards from some manufacturers, meaning users won't need to invest in $300-400 10GbE NICs for their machines. It will very quickly become the new normal for non-home user hardware.

12 December 2014
Originally Posted by cpm5280: Since you'd be operating the 5K iMac directly, why buy a Mac at all for the second machine?

A valid question.
I'ts habit I guess. If you've spent the last 11 years working with C4D and/or AE etc. on dual screens, affording a workflow with total visual overview, going back to a laptop or single display is almost like peering through a roll of toilet paper. However, the 5k display may change all that.

Cheers / Alex

12 December 2014
Originally Posted by cpm5280: We have used a few old pre-trashcan Mac Pros running the Vray standalone client in our mostly PC-based setup here. We've also toyed with Net Render/TR, but given the apparent futility of getting that working, we haven't kept on with doing so pending updates from Maxon.

I can't say that I've seen any issues that could for sure be directly tied to mixing Mac-based clients and Windows/*NIX based clients, but don't doubt that there may be issues. We just haven't bumped into them that I know of (that I can recall right now in my low-caffeine state).

Seems likely to me that such issues would generally arise out of incompatibilities between the different versions the render software itself rather than anything about Macs or PCs specifically; in the end it's all just communicating via IP, and that's very standardized.

I'll maybe go search the vray forums to see if I can find what Stefan was referring to. I could be wrong, has happened before once or twice.

The one thing about the setup above that I do like a lot is the fast connection between the machines. I think that network speed is a bigger issue for ANY rendering network than many people assume, and today's standard of 1 gigabit/sec is just not all that fast when you start adding more and more machines. For a handful of render machines it's fine, but as you step up to bigger installations, this becomes an issue.

We've invested in 10 Gigabit ethernet (copper cable, RJ-45, no fiber) for a subset of our machines, and while right now we're limited to 1Gbit for some things (that live on one part of my network) just because of budgetary issues, I can say that having the fastest possible network is likely to improve both speed and stability of of any render network, regardless of the software in question. 10GbE is getting very common on enthusiast/server/workstation motherboards from some manufacturers, meaning users won't need to invest in $300-400 10GbE NICs for their machines. It will very quickly become the new normal for non-home user hardware.

Stefan's comments about mixed networks were made well over a year ago...months before 1.8 was released. As I recall...He seemed uncertain, but felt there were risks involved. I wish I had a link but that's my best recollection.

12 December 2014
Originally Posted by Newstream: A valid question.
I'ts habit I guess. If you've spent the last 11 years working with C4D and/or AE etc. on dual screens, affording a workflow with total visual overview, going back to a laptop or single display is almost like peering through a roll of toilet paper. However, the 5k display may change all that.

Cheers / Alex

I'm _totally_ with ya on the screen real estate issue. The machines in the studio here are all at least dual 27's, some have dual 27's and a 30", and some desks have up to 4 monitors perched on them at some points. My argument to the powers-that-be about this was that time spent moving windows around on a screen just to find some little thing was an inefficiency, and I have been on the "squeeze more work from these machines" warpath for long enough that they listened. Makes life easier for all of us up here, too.

12 December 2014
Originally Posted by IceCaveMan: Stefan's comments about mixed networks were made well over a year ago...months before 1.8 was released. As I recall...He seemed uncertain, but felt there were risks involved. I wish I had a link but that's my best recollection.

Ther's absolutely zero problem in running a mixed network(with both Vray and C4d).
About 1/10Gb network speed, 1Gb is perfectly fine if you are running just a few nodes(BTW I strongly reccomend selfbuild PC slaves). A faster 10Gb network is still pricey for freelance and small firms, and you will need it only if using many nodes/big files. There's also a good chance that IP over Thunderbolt(up to 20Gb) will work just fine, but since I have not tried that I can not reccomend this solution for networking on Mac or PC.

12 December 2014
These test with thunderbolt networking show an much increased speed, but maybe not in all cases as much as you had hoped for.

http://www.macworld.com/article/214...hunderbolt.html

odo

reply share thread