Classic Snow White

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2013
I made another search to find a different reference image (because the one at the moment she is slightly looking upward)

I found two images to combine front and side (to be honest I'm not sure if side image is her) but both views seem to match up nicely, I also darkened the image to show features more (nostrils)

Also when you create the cylinder shape, try to distort the overall shape only to keep the ovalness, with the exception of the corner bit of the eye (as in my eye example)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

10 October 2013
Face Reference examples...

Just a number of male actors with interesting expressive features. This is to show the commonalities in different faces...

...And female faces too

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited by Artdigital : 10 October 2013 at 12:05 PM.

10 October 2013
i can see you have some troubles with modeling faces (sorry to say, but the face youve started definitely isnt going to look good)...

...so what could help you is a 3D reference for you to study (for example this). you could also bring it to your scene as a template. so you can check if your model is following the forms as it should.

as for your references, i would go for different, more proper workflow.
instead of relying only on front and side images from the internet, take photos of a friend for yourself, as many as you need. and model the face in perspective, not in orto, cause theres some distortions that should be taken into account.

something like this: multiple cameras with parameters corresponding with the real world camera with which you shoot your reference images

10 October 2013
Thanks you very much everyone for the love and guidance. I'm really enjoying learning this and figuring it out.

Breaking it down one thing at a time, I see what your saying about my edge loops not following the face around the mouth to the nostril fluidly. Just messing with the X axis, I re-did that area.
How does this look?

10 October 2013
Focus on one area first...

Hi leblanc980, you still haven't defied the nostril yet, my advice would be to focus on one area first before jumping onto the next. Try another version (keep current version though) but focus on the eye area first, it looks like you are using 3d Studio Max from the screenshots so you should know about the scaling tools.

In the screenshots I provided I used scaling to shape the eye (sorry I should have explained this) when creating cylinder and deleting what I don't need (in my screenshot) then with either a vertex or edge selection scaled downward to create an oval shape.

Also I wouldn't try defining the whole face yet (though I think you are roughly getting it with you current attempt) make it easy for yourself and just focus key areas first, which should be the eye. Kybel also gives some great advice also.

10 October 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread