How to create a DVD disc

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Question How to create a DVD disc

Hi there,

I have some images that i want to write to a DVD disc, though for it to play on a stantard dvd player, tv combo ones or an Xbox 360, Xbox, PS2.

I don't own a DVD RW drive. So I'm going to have to do this at a net cafe.

What I want to know is must I obviously have the .Jpg and .gif images in a .WMV format in Windows Movie Maker and then written onto a standard DVD disc, and that should work on any DVD player?

I know from my brief experience with creating an audio disc via Windows media player, it can only play on certain audio players...but that was many years.

05 May 2013
For a dvd you will need mpeg 2 video or an app that will convert it for you. Making a dvd or an audio cd isnt just a question of putting files on a disc.

05 May 2013
I see so clearly the WMM won't do that. So I need a program to convert my .wmv file to Mpeg 2. The make shift computers at the net cafe that I only know of that I can do this, the person who owns the shop will do the cd for me, so I need to prep the file first.

05 May 2013
Wink

I just tried Mega Video converter

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/...oconversion.jpg

It is automatically saved as an AVI format. It won't display in Windows Movie player. But the codec is Mpeg 2. I set it for a DVD player...

05 May 2013
theres a tool from dvdvideosoft (unfortunetal bloatware... :/ ) which allows you to create a dvd from videofiles. I think it spits out iso files so you could take those to the internetcafe and just burn it there.

DVD styler is a great tool to. You can create menus and other features too. Gives you more options.

I am using cdburner xp pro to burn the ISO... if I check the "high compatibility mode" they usually play on all the dvds players I have (around 4). Good to check that if you send stuff to filmfestivals etc.

05 May 2013
Wink

Well I only have a small collection of images and three gif files, it's of the Pathfinder mission which landed on Mars a couple of decades ago. I was certainly to young to of known anything about it.

I only wanted them to play on the dvd right through, no menus or anything.

I hope this should be okay, as for the net cafe the person who owns it can only do any writing of files. They only have CD-ROMs for the make shift computers, this place in particular is on the cheap. The hardware is built into wooden booths. The graphical display isn't as good as my basic ten year old Dell Dimension.

Cheap setup really.

I'll be wasting 1.50P if I haven't got this right

05 May 2013
Wink

I had the file sent to a DVD disk for one quid(1), though it won't play in either PC, Xbox 360 or on the tv/dvd combo television. I did save the file as Mpeg2 as I typed the other day, it could only play with an alternative player. To actually get the video file converted it would cost 5. It isn't worth it since the files are only a handful of small resolution images(450 x 350) and three animated .gif files with resolutions that cannot be changed.

09 September 2013
For the purpose of burning DVD, I suggest AppGeeker DVD Creator program. I've gotten much better picture quality from what I've used previously (windows dvd maker).

http://www.appgeeker.com/convert/burn-wmv-to-dvd.html

you can also create menus for DVD navigation with it.

09 September 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread