Saving skin weighting

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Saving skin weighting

Hi,

Is there a way of saving a skin weighting profile?

I have spent a good while tweaking the skin weighting of a character and the skeleton hierarchy and topology will be the same for other characters (with just different proportions)

I would like to be able to use the skin weighting from the character I have done already and apply it to the other characters.

Cheers,

Andy

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by andyman121: Hi,

Is there a way of saving a skin weighting profile?

I have spent a good while tweaking the skin weighting of a character and the skeleton hierarchy and topology will be the same for other characters (with just different proportions)

I would like to be able to use the skin weighting from the character I have done already and apply it to the other characters.

Cheers,

Andy

In 3ds Max, Yes. Look further down on the skin modifier's rollout panel-- there are options for saving /loading weights. But I've never tried to apply it to a different character mesh. If it's the same mesh, with the same vertices (only moved) then it should work... might need to tweak things under skin pose mode. Best to refer to the help documentation.

Last edited by Archangel35757 : 05 May 2013 at 07:30 PM.

05 May 2013
Thanks. Unfortunately I'm using Maya though.

05 May 2013
You should try the Copy Skin tool in maya (I think it is Skin > Edit Smooth Skin > Copy Skin weights...). I'm not sure but it may work even if the proportions aren't the same

05 May 2013
if you cannot write one yourself (is pretty easy) but anyway use the comet skin weights , so you can save the weight map and apply it to another char , i hope you didnt mess up the mesh ID

05 May 2013
try
http://download.autodesk.com/global...merWeights.html

with this command , you can save your weights .

after importing the weights , later you need to "normalize weights" once

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by giordi: i hope you didnt mess up the mesh ID

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I don't think I've come across comet skin weights either.

When you say write one myself, do you mean a script? All things are easy when you know how

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by tonytouch: try
http://download.autodesk.com/global...merWeights.html

with this command , you can save your weights .

after importing the weights , later you need to "normalize weights" once

That looks like it might be just what I'm looking for. Am I right in thinking that stores the weight values on a per vertex XML file? As it would appear in component editor? What's the creating the plane bit all about? And where do you enter the file path to write/read the file?
I think I'll have to look into this and see if I can write a script that uses this command.

06 June 2013
yeah , it is easy to use .

simply do :

cmds.deformerWeights("filepath/filename.xml", export=True, deformer="skinCluster1")

- when you import , you dont even have to have matching vertexOrders ( e.g. if the topology changes )
- either you can use method="barycentric", "nearest" or "over" , when you import. it is one of the pretty neat new-features , i think since version Maya2011

06 June 2013
Hi, sorry to bother you again, but to import do you use the same line of code and swap export=True to im=True?

cmds.deformerWeights("skinWeights_Cleanup2013.xml", im=True, deformer="skinCluster1")

When I use this line, I get a long list of the following error

# Error: line 1: Unable to find the match weight set name to given deformer. #

I checked the input section of the channel box for the mesh and skinCluster1 is in there so I can't really see where the problem is

06 June 2013
It's ok sorry forget that.
I figured it was that some of the joints were named differently in the target skeleton.

After find and replace "_NEW" with " " the following line of code worked

cmds.deformerWeights("skinWeights_Cleanup2013.xml", im=True, m="index", deformer="skinCluster1")

Last edited by andyman121 : 06 June 2013 at 11:09 AM.

06 June 2013
hi andy , sorry , i just read this right now .

good to see , you figured it out !

just one thing , you need to know , you got to "normalize weights" after you imported the weights . because sometimes , maya does not round the values properly , when it exports the weights , and then the values of all joints don't end up to be 1.000 , but 0.999 or 1.001 . so if you are not working in post-skinning mode , you need to normalize once .

i sometimes also use this method in order to swap joints ( if i decide to rename joints , later ) , then i use the texteditor to replace certain strings .

anyway , personally i have always used my own python-script for skinCluster-import/export - which handles the get and setWeights with api-calls ( that makes it much quicker than e.g. cometSaveWeights or doraWeights.mel ) . but since this method seems to be working pretty nicely for about 1 or 2 maya-versions now , i might use the "deformerWeights"-command more often in the future . at least it is a pretty simple and fast solution .

and it can also export/ import most other deformerweights , such as clusters , wire-deformers or softmods .

there is just one big "downside" of this command , it can however not export / import all the weights , for blendshapes .

and the same problem seems to be the case for the "copy and mirror"-weights faeture for blendshape-targets . hopefully , autodesk will implement this in the future , but i guess , we all know , that this might take 3 or 4 releases to get addressed by autodesk ( *irony* )

have a nice day
sim.On

06 June 2013
Thanks super-duper much for all your help Simon, much appreciated

06 June 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread