Marcos work.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
Marcos work.

Hey guys, My tutor mentioned to me about joining this site. Had a look around and theres some really nice work on here, seems like a thriving active communtity too.

I was wondering if I could get any crit on my work? these concepts are for my final project at staffordshire uni, the brief is to produce a series of concepts that would help inform an art director to produce an alien world with an eco system.

Thanks for looking.

04 April 2013
I gotta say I really love your take on an alien ecosystem, especially the melding of robotic creatures with organic ones. Really well done

If you are presenting these to an art director, my suggestion would be to create additional creature and environment studies. There is a good possibility that you will be asked for for them depending on the project.

04 April 2013
Thanks Mechahatechimp, very good point and its one that ive thought about. I ve actually got a portfolio of work dedicated to this project with plenty of creature designs for an art director to look over.

I think theres some issues though with the way ive tried to communicate my ideas across ( a bit more explaning might have helped) but the robotic constructs are actually manned vehicles that are piloted by scientists that are on an expedition to explore the planet. The idea is that theres a base of operations in orbit above the planet which ive dubbed 'August'.

These are a couple of pages from my portfolio to help give some more of an idea about my project

04 April 2013
Great creature concepts! I get a nice Avatar vibe from a few of them.

For crit suggestions. You've got some black negative spaces in a few that are kind of distracting.

This one in particular. The left side is dying for a rear light source. Maybe more of the blue structures illuminating the dark.

04 April 2013
Wow! Really awesome stuff. I think that the work has some perspective issues, but honestly there are just so many cool ideas in here, and some awesome colours.

The environments remind me of The Dig-which is high praise!

04 April 2013
Thank you guys for the responses, appreciate it.

Zombiemariachis : thank you for picking up on that, i need to rework some of the value into the foreground that is lost during the colour and lighting process that i go through.

04 April 2013
One habit you have that you might want to consider changing, is the way you often use light or dark outlines around the contours of your objects/shapes in your images. The way you do it almost seems like a crutch and a shortcut, instead of properly managing your values and edges so that they read clearly in your composition.

When you always use these light and dark outlines to define contours, you are altering the dynamics of your lighting, creating visual distraction that look like highlights or shadows but aren't. They make your images unnecessarily busy and the extra visual noise is detrimental to the overall coherence of your images.

Learn how to control and manage your values and edges so that everything reads clearly without you having to resort to creating extra visual noise in your images.

04 April 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread