Experimental starship command center

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2013
Post Starship bridge (interior)

Hello, everyone!

Here's something I've been pushing around for the past few hours, it's supposed to be an experimental bridge design for a starship which I am planning to run through my engine to test the stochastic global illumination solver on reasonably reflective/glossy surfaces.

The bridge itself spawns from a quick overlook sketch I did, as part of my experiment to move away from common science fiction bridges and command centers. The commander/captain observes from an elevated deck, issuing commands to subordinates. I plan to add the captain's ready room at the back, through the door on the elevated platform. I've tried to go for a clean, curvy futuristic look rather than bulky designs that can be seen in games like Dead Space or Halo.

Here's what I've got thus far. I am trying to avoid the programmer art stigma by expanding my artistic horizons. Hopefully, you can help point me in the right direction.

And here's the current state of things:

I'd really love to see past just the mathematical expressions and delve deeper into the artistic side of things, if that's possible for us lowly software engineers. I'd love any comments you can throw my way. Thank you very much!

Last edited by Rasterizer : 02 February 2013 at 12:13 PM.

02 February 2013
Cool man! There are some software people around here that do some pretty incredible work, so don't worry about that.

I would say the main thing that makes your room look generic is the shape. Its just a box.

It might help to break up the shape by making the overall shape less boxy, add some split levels, and a non flat ceiling.

-AJ

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by AJ1: Cool man! There are some software people around here that do some pretty incredible work, so don't worry about that.

I would say the main thing that makes your room look generic is the shape. Its just a box.

It might help to break up the shape by making the overall shape less boxy, add some split levels, and a non flat ceiling.

-AJ

Thank you for the support, much appreciated! I've also felt that it feels way too blocky, so I finally took an hour of spare time to deliver some drastic changes, scrapped the original ceiling and the walls in favor of a more curvy-blocky oval shape near the windows and have begun adding in geometric details (conduits, flow bulkheads, a status display).

Last edited by Rasterizer : 02 February 2013 at 07:00 PM.

02 February 2013
Since the geometry depth doesn't fluctuate intensely between the smoother parts, after some reworking I decided to do a trivial intense lighting render to give a clearer idea of the shapes involved. Here it is, 1920x1080 this time.

02 February 2013
I am currently experimenting with some of the more procedural approaches to constructing the basis for the ventilation system, although I think I'll have to find something that can follow a spline due to the curved geometry. If there's none, I'll just write it up with MaxScript.

Should give some geometric density and further the quest for detail.

02 February 2013
Looks good so far! I'd suggest you block out the rooms first and then go into all the details, so you don't get lost in them and loose the overall picture.

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by laber: Looks good so far! I'd suggest you block out the rooms first and then go into all the details, so you don't get lost in them and loose the overall picture.

Thank you for the support! Yes, that's a bit of a habit I'm trying to get rid off, I am currently blocking in the rest of the scene geometry and then I'll proceed to add details. The advice is much appreciated! If anyone can pinch in, I'd love to learn what can be improved upon. Here's the aerial overview of the progress:

02 February 2013
Got into experimenting with the door, blocking in the main shape, no details as of yet. This one has three moving parts, where the lateral ones latch into the the middle one when the doors are closed, and move out in an unlock sequence to remove the middle door column. Seemed like a prudent door for the control bridge of an entire vessel.

Breaking up the symmetry a bit.

02 February 2013
This is evolving nicely, good job! I only have one question at this point - I noticed that the "beam" in the middle of the room is turbosmoothed, so it's nice and round, and the room itself is jagged in the corners. Is this something you are going for or are you going to soften up the room as well?

Keep up the good work!

02 February 2013
Originally Posted by ULTR4MAR: This is evolving nicely, good job! I only have one question at this point - I noticed that the "beam" in the middle of the room is turbosmoothed, so it's nice and round, and the room itself is jagged in the corners. Is this something you are going for or are you going to soften up the room as well?

Keep up the good work!

Thank you very much for the support!

I'm in a freeform mode currently, blocking in the primary geometry, but also working on defining the proper smoothing groups in order to allow export into Zbrush to define the high definition features to be exported in terms of displacement maps for loading into my engine.

So, bits and pieces get their smoothing switched on and off as I expand them further, mostly because I run into something that would improve the general shape. In the end, everything will have their proper smoothing groups set up in order to preserve hard surface features, ready for exporting.

02 February 2013
Spent some time just reinforcing the idea of the entrance to the command center, which should logically be somewhat armored. First I wanted to show a bit of the raw mechanism which controls the lateral parts which block the middle column from moving.

After that, it seemed prudent to expand on the security measures of the bridge. As the lateral sides cut into the middle column and the mechanism is exposed, a simple strong physical rods can be erected from the floor and locked into place to prevent the lateral sides from moving.

Since they can't move and the sheer mass of the main column is forcing it down, it's perfect for quarantine efforts or cases of intruders.

Last edited by Rasterizer : 02 February 2013 at 02:31 PM.

02 February 2013
Didn't have much time to play around today, after attending to business, I did a bit of touching up and fixing overall topology and shape where applicable. And here's a bit of a test which is helping me to get a better idea of the shear scope of the bridge.

The female model is, of course, not mine. Courtesy of 3ds max sample files. Dropped the rig, just used the geometry.

02 February 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread