Just some thoughts on smooth blending,

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2006
Can someone refer me to a good book on digital painting? I get so sick of these tutorials where they pick only about 3 or 4 colors that dont look like skin color at all. Smear the canvas with them so it looks like they are making a mud painting, and then by continually refining this mess with scratchy fine strokes until somehow a photorealistic picture emerges. This thread is a good example of that, pic #4 on post #2 the painting makes the transition from kindergarten finger painting too art skill to die for.
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=302580

02 February 2006
You could have started your own thread, and been a little more polite :s...

You could try "d'artise: digital painting" or experiment a little until you find a way that works for you.. or do bouth. "d'artise: digital painting" is a really good book that offers step to steps and quite some inspiering images

02 February 2006
Originally Posted by arquebus: Can someone refer me to a good book on digital painting? I get so sick of these tutorials where they pick only about 3 or 4 colors that dont look like skin color at all.

Yeah, it's so cheap not to include a detailed analysis on skin tones in a tutorial on general blending techniques. Truly sickening.

02 February 2006
Originally Posted by Lady Medusa: You could have started your own thread, and been a little more polite :s...

I could have, but how many people on this forum want to read a thread about some guy ranting how he hates digital painting tutorials? (seriously, how many people?) Discretion IS the better part of valor.

02 February 2006
Thank you very much Linda.

This is a good technique.

Now I just need to practice some more.

WIP

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=310515

02 February 2006
thank you very much,Linda.
it is very useful

02 February 2006
Wow some very insightful stuff here. Thanks Linda for the insightful blending techniques and Rob with your comments on how Painter does this kind of thing.

Ok, let me break this down and then if somebody could tell me whether I'm really off here or not let me konw, as I'm really new with this digital painting thing and having the ability to use layers and opacity and all that wonderful stuff. I'm goign to try to work this out in my limited digital vocabulary and hopefully somebody who knows more than me can help me out (or translate, heh!).

Ok Linda is using 6 different colors to create this particular blending example. I don't understand though how the vibrancy colors (the blue and the orange) are fit into the painting, especially the orange (ie, terracotta). Are all 6 colors thrown into the blending area all at once, one neatly aligned next to the other, with practically 100% opacity at the start? And then are they kind of blended together using lower opacity settings by painting a low-opacity "wash" over the adjacent colors to lower the obvious transition from one color to the other? Are we still in the same 'layer'?

Are we using the vibrancy colors (the terracotta and cool lilac again) on the same layer or perhaps on a different layer to provide 'tint'?

Please excuse my beginner ramblings, this thread has been immensely helpful and I just want to make sure I am doing this right.

Also, for those Painter IX people out there, would you effectively blend the transition between these 6 colors through a blending brush like found in the Artist Oils category?

Thanks again guys.

02 February 2006
eidolons: The change in opacity is automatic when using a tablet. So you have the main opacity settings to 100% (you can see this setting on the tool bar near file, Edit, Image and so on.)

Then you have to set you brush opacity to 'pen pressure' you can do this by going to 'brush presets'-'other dynamics'-'opactity jitter, click drop down and select 'pen pressure'

Basically Linda's tutorial is for those who have a Tablet, but I'm sure it's possible without a tablet you will just have to change the opacity manually.

As for layers, this kind of practice is probably done on one layer, well that's how I would do it anyway

I hope what I said makes sense and has been any help to you

02 February 2006
Well, in Painter IX I kind of answered my own questions somewhat. It is very easy to blend 6 colors of varied saturation using the blender brush at 100% opacity. I then used a camel hair brush with 0% resat to give it texture at a very low opacity all in the same layer to provide some nice texture. Nowhere close to as professional looking as many of the examples here, but I'm learning.

02 February 2006
Originally Posted by enialadam: I hope what I said makes sense and has been any help to you

Enialadam,
Yes it was! I'm about to purchase a tablet myself here pretty soon, and now I am finally making the connection with the whole opacity thing. I didn't realize that you could do that with a tablet as far as opacity and pressing lightly / hard is concerned. Geesh another reason getting one is so imperative I guess.

There is NOTHING more frustrating than painting with a mouse. I even at times had to use a BALL MOUSE. But one thing I can say about painting with a mouse, and even has some merit. You learn to paint 'backwards' to a certain extent: you can't dwell on the lines, because the lines are jittery and bad, so you work more on volume and mass and all that good stuff from the start, which is a art lesson many art teachers do (have students start backwards so they get away from lines a bit). So in a way, I would recommend beginners to start with a mouse. But to remain SANE, getting away from a mouse as soon as possible is a must.

02 February 2006
eidolons: Awsome, I'm glad what I said helped I started off with a mouse too

02 February 2006
thank you very very very very very very very very veryvery very very very
Much

02 February 2006
Thank you so much for this topic, Linda! I've been a fan of yours for years and seeing a glimpse into how one of the 'masters' work is truly inciteful. I would never have thought to use a speckled brush for blending. I take it this tutorial is more towards base tones than towards creating shades and highlights? I'll have to scour this section and see what I can find on shading. I'm new to digital art so I'm glad to have found something of the basics. I've mostly had experience with cell shading and putting highlights and shadows on seperate layers grouped together for blending.

I've had a problem with blending coming out too 'flat', so I'm really happy to find a method that leaves some sort of texture behind to make the picture come alive.

I still use a mouse too, unfortunately. I find myself relying on it when I want to do certain types of strokes, but then I switch back to the tablet for circular strokes.

Many thanks to Zephyri for pointing me in this direction as well! I hope to have some art to share using the techniques I learn about here!

If anyone knows any classic tutorials they can point me to when it comes to skin tones and shading, feel free to point them out! Otherwise, I'm sure I'll find them in here eventually.

02 February 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread