Tae hyung kim brushes?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2006
Hey Lunatique, did you mean to post a picture? There's nothing there. But you're right, there are certainly others that display much of the same.

Anyway, I would really hate to turn this into a "rip fest" for Kim's artwork, he really is one of my favorite manga-style artists, and there are definitely a ton of good things in his art. Although, with all the praise and fame he gets, this may set the balance. I just think it's silly how fans can fall so head over heels for an artist so badly that it blinds them to basic, fundamental flaws. Love is blind right? Well hopefully a few people will at least heed some of the tips here (entire thread) and try to open their eyes a bit.

07 July 2006
http://hyung-taekim.org/albums/user...1/oxide2_31.jpg

That's what I linked to, but I guess it didn't show up?

Kim certainly is very talented and very good at certain things.

07 July 2006
The piece that Chromo48 linked isn't awful all over, but I'm guessing he was referring to her right arm. Can any of your arms twist like that? I'm sure there are plenty of other issues and most can probably be written off to style, but that arm is glaring.

Although, I'm sure you can find errors in any artists' work if you're given a large enough sampling. I saw a Rembrandt sketch in Chicago of a passionate couple, he mistakenly sketched an extra arm into the piece.

07 July 2006
Originally Posted by Knilblink: The piece that Chromo48 linked isn't awful all over, but I'm guessing he was referring to her right arm. Can any of your arms twist like that? I'm sure there are plenty of other issues and most can probably be written off to style, but that arm is glaring.

Although, I'm sure you can find errors in any artists' work if you're given a large enough sampling. I saw a Rembrandt sketch in Chicago of a passionate couple, he mistakenly sketched an extra arm into the piece.

True, the piece isn't horrible all over, but the error you're talking about with the arm isn't as bad as the leg in my opinion. Her right leg (your left) is just so horribly mangled, it can't even be called a leg. That is not style, that's poor anatomy. It's the kind of stuff you see in a novices work. But some hard core fans would rather refer to it as a style choice. You're right about the arm though, it looks like it's coming out of her head.

All I wanted was to post this to prove a point and just show people where the flaws are. We've all got flaws in our work, no doubt about that. And like Knilblink illustrated with Rembrandt, even the best of the best have flaws. It's just that it's ridiculous how people are basically willing to look the other way because they so deeply admire another aspect of the artists work, I really think it's unhealthy.

Last edited by Chromo48 : 07 July 2006 at 01:05 AM.

01 January 2007
Red face

i hadnt seen his flawed works til i was on this thread.i guess everyone lacks someplace where he needs to improve.v all want to improve dont we.in any case we dont have to take his flaws,only learn what makes his work so appealing.i hope someone has already told him bout his anatomy so that he revises it.he is a gr8 artist no doubt on that

02 February 2007
Originally Posted by killermachine: i hope someone has already told him bout his anatomy so that he revises it.he is a gr8 artist no doubt on that

I disagree.

Warped anatomy is part of his style and of the genre (hakuto no ken anyone?). Personally I prefer he stays true to his style and vision than pretend to be another 9 heads high artist like many of us. Unrealistic anatomy is not stopping his broad appeal and commercial success so why change it (and bring him down to the level of lesser artists).

And for anybody else who's dying for the brushes...the THK look is really more than that. Check his step-by-step in his artbooks and you'll see that post-editing his images plays a big role in the final product than just simplying relying on his painting tools.

02 February 2007
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread