Old 01-04-2014, 08:42 PM   #1
JGreen389
Frequenter
portfolio
Justin Green
3D Artist
Wantagh, United%2BStates

vray refractive material and aliasing issue

Got a strange problem that I can't seem to figure out how to fix and hoping someone on here can help.

I am working on some renderings for a watch model that I have designed in 3DS Max 2013. The rendering engine I am using is Vray. The issue I am having is a jagged aliasing issue in my renders that occurs in only 2 areas and from only 2 of my camera angles. In other words, when I change the camera angle these areas render fine.

Below are some examples of the issue I am trying to describe:

The issue also occurs here and is probably easier to see in the following two images then in the ones above. In the first one, especially on the letters "I" and "O" this issue is very noticable.

This image below shows how those letters should actually look. The difference in these images is that I turned the refaction IOR value from 1.45 to 1.

So based upon the above examples, you'll notice that when the refractive IOR value of the glass that covers the watch is set to anything other than 1 I get this issue, but for some reason just in these specific spots. And again, if I change the camera angle these areas render fine. So, is there anything I can do to avoid having this issue and still have the glass IOR value at 1.45? I have tried messing around with several settings in the refractice glass material and even several render settings. The only way I have been able to solve this aliasing issue is to change the IOR to 1 which is not what I want to do. Please help if you have any ideas. Thanks and much appreciated.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:13 AM   #2
Zabander
Veteran

portfolio
Jose Alejandro
Digital Artist
Ecuador

To really understand what is happening, render a sampler rate pass and see the level of the problem, after that you can render, a reflective pass to see if the issue really belongs to the reflective area. Sometimes it can be the AA sampler, GI, lights, etc.

Old 01-25-2014, 06:13 AM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread