Anyone tried the Surface Pro with CG soft?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
Anyone tried the Surface Pro with CG soft?

I'm just curious...

i5, 1920x1080, touch screen... kinda nice!

03 March 2013
Also curious.

I did a bit of googling and found these, but would also like a first-hand account from someone on the forums.

http://surfaceproartist.com/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0zdKHj95p4

03 March 2013
Someone actually bought one?

03 March 2013
The only thing that intrigues me of the Surface Pro is how it played World of Warcraft and Star Wars: The Old Republic rather well. But seeing how the Windows 8 OS takes up already of the 128GB HD built into it, I'd say that it wouldn't run all that well unless its just running stuff at low res with a very minimal polygon count. It might be good just to frame out projects but nothing advanced in my opinion. Plus I still haven't gotten an answer from any locations I've visited selling Surface Pros that if the Surface can run software off an external HD, but I would suspect, it cannot.

03 March 2013
Quote: But seeing how the Windows 8 OS takes up already of the 128GB HD

More than 8-10gb?
Quote: It might be good just to frame out projects but nothing advanced in my opinion.

Of course. How could I do serious work without a good chair, a 30inch screen, my wacom and a coffee? But for on the go solution, I think the pen would be better than a small touchpad. It could actually improve on my workflow!

I also want ot try one...

03 March 2013
Sorry, that was suppose to say half of the 128 GB HD. But from the places I went to, 2 Best Buys and a Microsoft Store, it takes up half the HD. The one I was messing with on the demo stand did have about 48GB available and it didn't have much on it except the Office Suite which comes with it and a few games like Angry Birds. The tech at the Microsoft told me it takes a big chunk of the HD, but he could of been pulling my leg to try to get me to buy the Surface Pro model rather than the RT model. Again though as I saw it myself, it was a big part of the HD already used.

For on the go though, maybe. I'm no expert at all as I'm pretty sure you've come across more stuff than I have. It would probably work with a Wacom tablet actually since its a full version of Windows 8, so it should support it if the tech at the Microsoft store gave me the right info. May even work with a Wacom Display tablet as it does support multiple monitors. But you would probably have to get a HDMI/VGA converter to do so.

03 March 2013
I was posting from my iPad on that first reply. Sorry about the word skips and typos.

03 March 2013
Windows 8 require 20gb which is quite enormous I agree. I wonder what's on the rest of the 48gb... backups, media, games, crap...

I would run a clean install for sure and ditch the backup. (never used it anyway!)

03 March 2013
...wait, he said 48GB AVAILABLE on a 128GB machine...

WTF???

03 March 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread